Search Angie's Recipes


Braised Fennel


© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


A simple but oh-so-yummy dish. Fennel wedges braised in white wine and stock until tender which really develops mild licorice flavours, then garnished with a mixture with Parmesan, parsley, lemon zest and toasted Brazil nuts for extra crunch and flavour. It’s a perfect accompaniment to roasted chicken, fish, sausages, steak or over a bed of hummus if you are a vegetarian. Make this recipe your own by adding capers, olives, fruit, or tomatoes togehter with wine and stock. Instead of Brazil nuts, you can also use hazelnuts, almonds or pine nuts for the topping.

 
  • 3 Medium-sized fennel bulbs, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • 2 tbsp Ghee or olive oil
  • 120 ml Dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup Stock (vegetable or chicken)
  • 1-2 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
  • 4 Thyme sprigs
  • 50 Brazil nuts
  • 2 tbsp Flat parsley, finely chopped
  • 30 g Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
  • 2 tsp Freshly grated lemon zest
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Cut each fennel half into 3 wedges. Melt the ghee in a large cast-iron skillet pan over medium high heat. Add the fennel wedges and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fennel begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add the white wine, stock, minced garlic and thyme sprigs. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the fennel is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and increase the heat to high. Continue to cook until the liquid thickens up a bit, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the thyme sprigs.
  3. While fennels cook, heat a small dry skillet over medium heat. Add the Brazil nuts and cook, shaking the pan a few times, until they darken up a bit and become fragrant, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and when cool enough to handle roughly chop them.
  4. In a small bowl combine the chopped Brazil nuts, flat parsley, grated parmesan and lemon zest. Toss well.
  5. Plate the fennel and sprinkle with the nut mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm or at room temperature.

© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




36 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, 16/1/24 12:24

I haven’t used fennel in long time. Time to rectify that, I think.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 16/1/24 12:33

Sounds very healthy, I am sure if I have ever tried fennel. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

[Reply]
Tom 16/1/24 13:43

...I've only seen fennel seed, thanks for the information.

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 16/1/24 13:47

sound healthy and delicious food....
have a great day

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 16/1/24 14:21

No tengo costumbre de utilizar hinojo, pero sí que me gustaría probarlo en este estofado tan original para mi. Tiene muy buen aspecto.

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 16/1/24 15:20

I've never tried fennel like that, it sure makes for a beautiful plate!

[Reply]
DEZMOND 16/1/24 15:41

I have never had me fennel, but it does look lovely and fragrant too.

[Reply]
JoAnna 16/1/24 17:52

I love vegetables, I love dill. Brazilian nuts sometimes make me allergic, but I like them. Everything looks delicious. Regards and kisses!

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 16/1/24 19:27

I love fennel!....I love it fresh in salads, but after seeing your dish, I have to try braised fennel!....it looks delicious!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Raymund 16/1/24 21:26

This fennel dish sounds like a symphony of textures and flavors! Yum

[Reply]
roentare 16/1/24 21:28

This is a healthy dish to have

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 16/1/24 23:07

Another great veggie dish!

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 17/1/24 00:08

This looks great. I need to try fennel. I like trying new veggies and new veggie dishes.

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 17/1/24 03:09

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Citu 17/1/24 03:09

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Rose world 17/1/24 10:06

Rarely cook and eat fennel. But your dish looked lovely and delicious.

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 17/1/24 11:51

Great idea, I have only had this in soups so it sure sounds and looks wonderful braised!

[Reply]
Pam 17/1/24 19:59

It looks and sounds so delicious!!! I love fennel.

[Reply]
DUTA 17/1/24 20:20

What a feast of ingredients, colors and flavors!
As far as I know, braising is a most beneficial method of cooking!

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 17/1/24 23:25

I haven't used fennel before, I want to try this recipe. Thank you Angie :)

[Reply]
Happy Retiree's Kitchen 18/1/24 08:45

This looks delicious Angie, and such a versatile dish. I try to buy it when it's in season.

[Reply]
Emma Loabez 18/1/24 10:23

Hello Angie. I think it is an excellent garnish, especially to accompany meat. Fennel has a very peculiar flavor, the cheese gratin goes great with it.
Happy Thursday.😘

[Reply]
Daniela 18/1/24 21:23

wow che piatto interessante. Sicuramente voglio provare a cucinare i finocchi in questo modo ^_^ Bravissima!

[Reply]
Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina 19/1/24 03:19

I've never had fennel as a side dish, and I must say that this certainly is eye candy. I like your recommendations on what to pair it with in a meal, Angie!

[Reply]
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness 19/1/24 13:51

I am always looking for side dish. This one looks and sounds yummy. I am going to have to try it.

[Reply]
Frank | Memorie di Angelina 19/1/24 15:10

Looks and sounds delightful, Angie! Fennel is such an under appreciated vegetable. I love it, cooked or raw.

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 19/1/24 17:13

I rarely cook fennel, this sounds really good and different

[Reply]
sherry 20/1/24 01:32

this certainly sounds delicious Angie!

[Reply]
Grace 20/1/24 04:55

Excelente Angie!
Una delicadeza!

[Reply]
Grace 20/1/24 04:56

Totalmente diferente!!
Gracias Angie!!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 20/1/24 06:07

new for me.... look delicious.

[Reply]
tigerfish 24/1/24 01:46

The braising of fennel in wine must have given the dish so much more depth. The mild licorice flavors, the sweetness....

[Reply]
Anonymous 27/1/24 22:28

Fennel is one of our favorite vegetables, and definitely an underutilized one. Love this braise, and can’t wait to try it. David (C&L)

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top