Search Angie's Recipes


Featured Recipe: 37 Cucumber Recipes to keep you cool in hot Summer



Black Hummus


© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


If you have a high speed blender, use it to make tahini. Otherwise use your food processor. Just keep in mind using a food processor will take lots of time, it took me almost two hours, because I took short breaks in between to prevent my food processor from overheating, and you should scrape down the sides every now and then. You don't have to toast the sesame seeds, but toasting process is what helps the seeds to release their oils, thus making them easier to blend.
Hummus, originating in the Middle East, has been gaining popularity all over the world as this dip is very delicious and versatile. You can make a chorizo hummus bowl, or a hummus using chickpea flour, or cauliflower hummus, or this beautiful pink beet hummus. So here is my new addtion: Black Tahini Hummus. Garnish with your favourite toppings and serve with crackers, pita or crudites. Leftover hummus will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Black tahini has a stronger flavour than the traditional white one, so when working with it, you need to add some sweetness to cut through that flavour. For this tahini, I added 2 teaspoons of maple syrup. Use black garlic if you can find them, otherwise, regular garlic works just fine.

 
Black TahiniHummus
  • 150 g Black sesame seeds
  • 1-2 tbsp Toasted sesame oil
  • 1/8 tsp Salt, optional
  • 200-220 g Cooked chickpeas (homemade or storebought)
  • 180 g Black tahini paste
  • Zest and juice of 2 unwaxed or organic lemons
  • 6 Black garlic cloves
  • 3 tbsp Olive oil
  • 2 tsp Maple syrup
  • 1 tsp Cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp Sea salt
  • A handful of chopped fresh herbs, salt flakes, red currants, pink peppercorns, black garlic, sliced chilli, sesame seeds, edible flowers, and olive oil as topping
  1. To make black tahini. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the black sesame seeds and roast, stirring constantly, for about 3-5 minutes until they are fragrant. Be careful not to burn them.
  2. Remove from heat and let them cool completely. Pour the cooled sesame seeds into the container of your high speed blender / food processor. Blend until you have a crumbly paste.
  3. Then pour in the sesame oil and blend again till you have a smooth consistency. The longer you blend, the runnier the paste will be. However, the texture of black tahini won't be as smooth as the white one since they are unhulled. This can then be stored in an airtight glass container and kept in the fridge for up to a month.
  4. To make black hummus. Combine the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, black garlic, olive oil, maple syrup, cumin, and salt in the high-powered blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
  5. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with desired toppings and a swirl of olive oil. Serve the dip with crackers, bread sticks or crudites.

© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


24 comments:

DEZMOND 8/8/24 13:14

Although it looks absolutely unappetizing LOL I bet it is tasty as hell, I do love hummuses and those red currants in the first photo are looking so delish. I made red sweet peppers stuffed with potatoes for lunchen today.

[Reply]
Carol @Comfort Spring Station 8/8/24 14:38

I've made lots of different hummus, but I've never tried making tahini. I don't know why the black color bothers me, as it's not rational. I bet it tastes fabulous

[Reply]
sotis 8/8/24 15:16

c'est original et certainement délicieux!!!

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 8/8/24 15:56

That looks interesting, I've never seen black hummus.

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 8/8/24 16:04

My hummus is made using bought tahini. I have black sesame seed on hand but only a very small bottle. I don't think I have ever seen it in bulk.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 8/8/24 16:11

Hello,
Your hummus recipe sounds delicious.
Take care, have a great day!

[Reply]
Christine 8/8/24 16:50

Black tahini paste is new to me

[Reply]
Alana 8/8/24 17:01

I never thought I would like black garlic but when I tried it a couple of years ago, I did. Maybe I would like this too, but I would have to get past the color. It does intrigue me.

[Reply]
savorthebest 8/8/24 17:25

Wow that looks great Angie.

[Reply]
LoveT. 8/8/24 17:38


Looks sensationally good

[Reply]
The Velvet Runway 8/8/24 19:46

I love hummus, but I have never tried black hummus. I will definitely give this recipe a go!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 8/8/24 22:36

This sounds so good! I have never seen black tahini paste before, another new ingredients I have learned about. I appreciate the how-to and also the history of hummus. Thank you Angie :)

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 8/8/24 23:41

An incredible color for this hummus!

[Reply]
roentare 8/8/24 23:58

This looks very healthy

[Reply]
Citu 9/8/24 01:08

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
JoAnna 9/8/24 11:55

I don't like hummus, and black sesame is rare for me, although I sometimes buy it somewhere.

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 9/8/24 13:38

It looks disgusting! I have perhaps left stuff in the fridge too long and it looks like this! Regular hummus will be fine, thank you very much!

[Reply]
Bill 9/8/24 18:22

I eat hummus but never heard of this but it does sound interesting

[Reply]
Ben | Havocinthekitchen 9/8/24 22:07

Yeah, I've had hummus with black tahini, and I can confirm it tastes amazing! And such a beautiful dramatic colour.

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 9/8/24 23:57

It looks pretty. it is so black though. I wonder how many people might be turned off by that.

[Reply]
Tom 10/8/24 02:52

...I like the pop of red!

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top