Search Angie's Recipes


Ottolenghi's Roasted Aubergine with Saffron Yoghurt


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


This simple yet fantastic eggplant salad as a starter, with only minor changes, comes from one of my favourite chefs and cookbook authors, Yotam Ottolenghi.
Among all my favourite salad pairings, eggplant, pine nuts and pomegranate seeds has to be one of the tastiest. The creamy Greek yoghurt dressing uses a rejuvenating and elegant touch with the addition of saffron. With its contrasting flavours, vibrant bright colours, fresh herbs and toasted nuts, this salad is definitely bound to impress your guests and the family.

 
Saffron Yoghurt
  • 3 medium Aubergines / eggplants, cut into 2cm-thick round slices
  • Olive oil, for brushing
  • 2 tbsp Toasted pine nuts
  • A handful of pomegranate seeds
  • Flat parsley, chopped
  • Flaky sea salt and black pepper
  • A small pinch of saffron strands
  • 2 tbsp Hot water
  • 200 g Greek yoghurt
  • 1 Garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 tbsp Lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp Olive oil
  1. For the saffron yoghurt, which can be prepared in advance and it will keep in the fridge for up to three days, infuse the saffron in the hot water in a small bowl for 5 minutes. Pour the infusion into a bowl containing the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and some salt. Whisk well to get a smooth, golden sauce. Taste and adjust the salt if necessary. Chill until ready to use.
  2. Preheat the oven to 240C/460F. Place the aubergine slices on a roasting tray, brush with plenty of olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until the slices take on a beautiful light brown colour. Let them cool down. The aubergines will keep in the fridge for 3 days. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
  3. To serve, arrange the aubergine slices on a large plate, slightly overlapping. Drizzle the saffron yoghurt over them, sprinkle with the pine nuts and pomegranate seeds and sprinkle the chopped parsley on top.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


27 comments:

Lola Martínez 12/7/23 23:12

La berenjena es uno de mis vegetales favoritos, al horno me gustan mucho, y con esa salsa de yogur estarán exquisitas.

[Reply]
Tom 12/7/23 23:25

...I have egg plant in the garden, but no fruit yet.

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 12/7/23 23:32

Your version of this recipe I made a few weeks ago is so beautiful!

[Reply]
roentare 12/7/23 23:50

Looks so healthy and yummy again!

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 13/7/23 00:19

Another beautiful salad, love eggplant!

[Reply]
ALLIE NYC 13/7/23 01:10

Ooo this sounds like a really tasty twist on roasted eggplant. Yum!! Thanks for posting!

Allie of
www.allienyc.com

[Reply]
Raymund 13/7/23 03:22

I must say, this eggplant salad recipe sounds absolutely fantastic. Eggplant, pine nuts, and pomegranate seeds? That combination is definitely a winner in my book. And with the addition of saffron in the creamy Greek yogurt dressing, it adds a touch of elegance and rejuvenation to the dish. I can already imagine the vibrant colors, contrasting flavors, and the fresh herbs and toasted nuts coming together to create a truly impressive salad.

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 13/7/23 03:48

Gracias por la receta. Pronto lo haré. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Mbul Kecil 13/7/23 09:12

is that aubergine like purple eggplant...i like the variation of aubergine dish...especially combined with yoghurt....

[Reply]
Javier 13/7/23 09:14

Eggplants and creamy Greek yoghurt... Perfect match!

[Reply]
DEZMOND 13/7/23 10:03

I have never had me an ichiban in my life, I probably should!

[Reply]
eileeninmd 13/7/23 11:45

Looks delicious, another great recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Take care, enjoy your day!

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 13/7/23 12:22

Any way to use eggplant is great. Last time I checked on the price of saffron it required a mortgage on the house to buy it!

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 13/7/23 12:57

This sounds great. I'm growing eggplant in my garden so if I get any I might use this recipe to eat them. Hope all is well. hugs-Erika

[Reply]
Anonymous 13/7/23 15:31

Everything about this recipe sounds exotic and delicious. I haven't made eggplant in a long time-

[Reply]
Bill 13/7/23 20:24

I've never had saffron but love eggplant.

[Reply]
savorthebest 13/7/23 22:53

that looks so good, I love eggplant.

[Reply]
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness 14/7/23 01:26

This sounds delicious. I love eggplant.

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 14/7/23 02:52

I love love love eggplants!!....this dish is delicious and perfect to just see it!!.......Abrazotes,Marcela

[Reply]
Balvinder 14/7/23 15:02

Eggplant is one of my favorite ingredients and I can’t wait to try this recipe! Sounds cool with saffron yogurt.

[Reply]
Laura. M 14/7/23 17:05

Me gustan las berenjenas . Gracias por la receta.
Buen fin de semana.
Un abrazo.

[Reply]
Frank | Memorie di Angelina 16/7/23 17:04

What a gorgeous dish. And it sounds delicious as well. I think eggplant might just be my favorite vegetable so this will definitely be making an appearance on our table quite soon.

[Reply]
The Velvet Runway 17/7/23 15:15

This looks so delicious as well as healthy! I will try it this weekend
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

[Reply]
Carol @Comfort Spring Station 17/7/23 16:53

I haven't cooked eggplant for a couple of years. This is so delicious that I've added eggplant to my shopping list. Thank you!

[Reply]
tigerfish 20/7/23 00:53

Definitely a dish with complex flavor profiles from the saffron yogurt dressing to the pine nuts and pomegranate seeds.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top