Search Angie's Recipes


Icelandic Rye Bread

Labels: { , , }

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Icelandic rye bread, or rúgbrauð, a staple of Icelandic cuisine, is traditionally baked underground, buried in a bubbling geothermal pit for 24 hours. Since I don't have a hot spring in my back yard or live in a geothermal area, baking the bread in a simpler and more convenient modern oven is an ideal alternative way to get to taste this iconic Icelandic Rye Bread, which you would think it's healthy. Well, not this one as it contains a whole cup of honey and molasses in it, but it's DELICIOUS with a light caramel note and dense texture. Since it’s leavened with baking powder and baking soda, it’s very easy to throw together. This delicious traditional rye bread can be served in a variety of ways, topped with smoked fish / lamb, skyr, cheese or even just butter or simply with your favourite toppings. Store leftover bread tightly wrapped at room temperature for several days or up to 3 months in the freezer.
I adapted the recipe from King Arthur Baking, as 2-hr-baking time seems reasonable for me. Other recipes suggested baking at 100C/200F for 6 hours. Alternatively you can make this in a slow cooker, covered with aluminum foil, for 4 hours. I haven't tried it myself yet, so if you do please let me know how it turns out!

 
  • 470 g Whole rye berries, milled into flour (you can substitute 1/3 with wholewheat flour)
  • 1 tsp Sea salt
  • 1 tbsp Baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp Baking soda
  • 500 g Buttermilk (or kefir)
  • 170 g Honey (or golden syrup)
  • 170 g Molasses (or golden syrup)
  1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F. Line a 8-9 inch pullman pan with baking paper or grease with olive oil. Lightly grease the lid too and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the rye flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, and molasses.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
  5. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and cover with the lid.
  6. Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for 2 hours. Turn off the oven and remove the lid from the pan. Leave the loaf in the turned-off oven for another 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and turn out of the pan onto a cooling rack.
  7. Cool completely before slicing thinly and serving with butter or your favorite toppings.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


31 comments:

Bill 20/7/23 21:17

It's new to me but I would try it with some smoked salmon.

[Reply]
Tom 20/7/23 21:39

...I love rye bread!

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 20/7/23 21:44

I am a fan of rye bread so I am sure I would enjoy this. Cream cheese and smoked salmon sound like great accompaniments.

[Reply]
Marissa 20/7/23 22:31

What an intriguing way to bake bread! Love that you made this accessible to home cooks, Angie. The texture looks incredible!

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 20/7/23 22:43

This bread is terrific! I wish I could taste it...

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 20/7/23 23:36

I'm going to make it!!...Can you make it with honey only? I don't have molasses right now, but I have algarrobina syrup, and I can make it with that option. Do you think sourdough will be a good option to add? I notice that breads with only baking soda and baking powder are too heavy for me. Thanks!....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
roentare 20/7/23 23:55

The bread looks so amazing! The colour is appetising

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 21/7/23 01:29

That sounds terrific, I'm going to make some of that too!

[Reply]
anne in the kitchen 21/7/23 01:45

Rye bread is our favorite. I will be trying this

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 21/7/23 04:13

Gracias por la receta. Lo hare pronto. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Citu 21/7/23 04:14

Gracias por la receta. Lo haré pronto. Te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

[Reply]
Velva 21/7/23 04:32

A cup of honey? Molasses too. This sounds so good!

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 21/7/23 08:27

Me gustaría probar el pan original, el que se hace bajo tierra, pero no dudo que el tuyo sea muy rico también, y lo encuentro sano, por qué no?

[Reply]
Margaret D 21/7/23 08:59

Interesting and was baked underground - something I've learnt today.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 21/7/23 10:29

Looks lovely and very soft, what are rye berries, deary?

[Reply]
eileeninmd 21/7/23 12:33

Hello,
I love rye bread, looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

[Reply]
Anonymous 21/7/23 13:15

Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog: Such an interesting way to make this bread. It sounds very sweet and yet it is eaten with meat. I am also curious who eats all of your amazing baked goods. Just your husband?

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 21/7/23 13:56

@DEZMOND Whole rye before milling...I often mill my own flour, esp. rye and those ancient grains.

[Reply]
delphine 21/7/23 15:45

ce pain doit être délicieux, il a une belle couleur
Belle soirée

[Reply]
COCINA Y REPOSTERÍA DE ANTAÑO 21/7/23 17:16

Me encanta como te ha quedado este pan de centeno, se ve 😋

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 21/7/23 17:56

Mmmm....yum! Thanks for another great recipe Angie!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 21/7/23 19:30

fantastic bread wow that looks so delicious

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 22/7/23 00:27

Bread is my favorite food group and this rye bread looks wonderful!!!

[Reply]
J. S. Vila 22/7/23 01:56

Interesting icelandic bread. I never eated It. It seems delicious.

[Reply]
Fedora 22/7/23 09:46

The idea of exploring the flavors of Icelandic cuisine through this traditional rye bread is truly intriguing. I can only imagine the hearty and earthy flavors that come with each slice. I appreciate that you've shared the recipe with clear instructions and helpful tips, making it easier for home bakers like me to start on this baking journey. The deep, dark color and the rustic texture of this bread makes it not only delicious but also attractive visually.

[Reply]
Veronica Lee 22/7/23 10:24

Looks delish! 😋

Hugs and blessings, Angie

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 24/7/23 11:40

I've got this recipe on the top of my to bake list. After having some in Iceland I've been interested in trying it. The heat and time haven't allowed it yet, but after reading this post, I think I need to start thinking about it again. Yours looks as delicious as the slices I had in iceland. hugs-Erika

[Reply]
tigerfish 2/8/23 03:32

I enjoy such dense bread too, as it holds the savory toppings very well.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top