Search Angie's Recipes


Cherry Tomato Frittata with Purslane and Bacon


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Fold succulent purslane and juicy, sweet cherry tomatoes into fluffy eggs for a savory skillet dish. Aged Gruyere and Parmigiano-Reggiano add an earthy and nutty flavour to the frittata and melt beautifully. It's easy to whip up, packed with flavour and perfect for keeping the family satisfied. Serve this warm or at room temperature. Pack any leftovers straight into lunch boxes for the next day.

 
  • 7 Duck eggs (or 8 chicken eggs)
  • 100 g Crème fraiche
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 100 g Aged Gruyere, grated
  • 30 g Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
  • 150 g Bacon, thinly sliced
  • 1 Red onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 Garlic cloves, diced
  • 100 g Purslane, roughly chopped
  • 200 g Cherry tomatoe, halved
  • 120 g Vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
  1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F. In a medium bowl, whisk duck eggs, crème fraiche, salt and black pepper. Stir in half of Gruyere cheese and Parmesan. Set aside.
  2. Heat a 24-cm / 8-inch cast iron or oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes or until light golden. Add the purslane to the pan and cook, tossing, for 1-2 minutes or until they wilt. Add in halved cherry tomatoes.
  3. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Pour the egg mixture into the pan over the onion, purslane and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle the bacon pieces on top. Cook without stirring over medium heat until its edges begin to set, about 5 minutes.
  4. Top with the vine-ripened cherry tomatoes and sprinkle the remaining cheese over. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and center is set.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


35 comments:

Rhodesia 30/6/23 20:17

Love frittatas, we have them quite often, This looks delicious. We have been eating "your" beernanana bread this week so yummy. Thanks for sharing Diane

[Reply]
Tom 30/6/23 20:42

...we have plenty of purslane here, but I've never eaten it.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 30/6/23 21:27

Hello,
Looks delicious, I will be saving this recipe! Thanks for sharing. Take care, have a happy weekend.

[Reply]
Stefania 30/6/23 21:49

Molto molto invitante questa frittata e poi è anche super colorata

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 30/6/23 22:20

Todo tipo de tortillas me gustan, esta es además muy completa y llena de verduras ricas. Se ve maravillosa.
Un beso

[Reply]
David 30/6/23 23:25

Angie, This looks and sounds good but I would have to leave out the onions. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
roentare 30/6/23 23:51

Looks like a dish I need in this winter

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 1/7/23 00:38

That's beautiful and probably so yummy!

[Reply]
Citu 1/7/23 04:18

Se ve tan rica. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

[Reply]
DEZMOND 1/7/23 10:19

I have never heard of word purslane before,but then I google it and I know what it is, we have it growing as a weed in our yards. I do love a nice frittata! I made roulade with eggs and rice flour yesterday, very similar.

[Reply]
Veronica Lee 1/7/23 10:23

Pinning this recipe. Thanks!

Hugs and blessings, Angie

[Reply]
Neil 1/7/23 11:11

I love frittata's. I make them for breakfast and then any leftovers are great cold for lunch too!

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 1/7/23 15:52

Oh my! This is beautiful and sounds delicious.

[Reply]
Frank | Memorie di Angelina 1/7/23 17:05

What a lovely frittata. A real work of art. I'm curious to try it with duck eggs to experience the difference in flavor.

[Reply]
Anonymous 1/7/23 17:40

I enjoy purslane whenever we are in Europe but I never see it at our markets here in Florida. Love your wonderful presentation. Karen (Back Road Journal)

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 1/7/23 23:06

What a nice dish, it really looks delicious!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 2/7/23 06:28

I never tasted this kind of food, but love cherry tomatoes....

[Reply]
J. S. Vila 2/7/23 13:39

The aspects of thid cooked plate is delicious. Full of nutrients and full of savour. Delicious!!!

[Reply]
Torviewtoronto 2/7/23 17:11

frittata looks beautiful a good way to use fresh summer vegetables

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 2/7/23 19:32

This looks absolutely delicious and I do like how you have decorated it with those small tomatoes. Thanks Angie :)

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 3/7/23 01:30

This looks amazing. I probably would have taken the stem off the tomatoes, but they look great. And you asked what I do with all my art journals. I have a bookcase just for them. And I do a purge every now and again.

[Reply]
Anonymous 3/7/23 05:47

Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog: This frittata looks beautiful and I'm sure tastes amazing. I love the whole cherry tomatoes on the top!

[Reply]
Carol @Comfort Spring Station 3/7/23 13:30

Yum - you made me so hungry and I've already had breakfast! Pinned

[Reply]
Eva Taylor 3/7/23 17:57

We have purslane growing wild all over Toronto, it’s like a weed here. I’ve heard that it’s edible but I’ve never thought to actually eat it. I love the way you used the branch of tomatoes.
Eva https://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/

[Reply]
Anonymous 3/7/23 19:04

I just love love love your frittata!!....When I will visit Germany again, you make this frittata for me, and I will bring you a bottle of cream coffee liquor.....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Anonymous 3/7/23 19:05

Finally it got published!...apologies for taking so long....I don't know what happened....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Cocoa and Lavender 5/7/23 01:24

So beautifully presented - and purslane is so underutilized. In fact, until I moved to Tucson 15 years again, it was just a weed to me. It is used often in Mexican cooking, so I have really enjoyed getting to know it.

[Reply]
Raymund 6/7/23 05:19

The combination of fluffy eggs, succulent purslane, sweet cherry tomatoes, and the earthy flavors of aged Gruyere and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is making my mouth water.

[Reply]
The Velvet Runway 6/7/23 09:04

This looks so delicious! I am definitely going to try this recipe!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 6/7/23 15:49

What a beautiful frittata! It looks so good, and I love the artistic way you garnished it!

[Reply]
tigerfish 9/7/23 04:41

Seen purslane in our local farmers market but nvr got them as I don't really know what I can do with it. Now I know. Frittata is a super great idea!

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top