Search Angie's Recipes


Featured Recipe: 37 Cucumber Recipes to keep you cool in hot Summer



Octopus Salad


© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com






The combination of juicy sweet cherry tomatoes, unique cilantro, briney olives and baby capers together with a simple but refreshing lemon vinaigrette took the flavour of this seafood salad up a notch. If you like calamari, you will enjoy the meaty octopus too.
Use fresh or frozen octopus. Previously frozen octopus tends to become tender more quickly than fresh. Frozen, pre-cleaned octopus is easier to find over here. If you are buying fresh one, wash and clean it or nicely ask the fishmonger to clean it for you. If desired, grill them briefly for that wonderful smoky flavour and beautiful char before cutting them for the salad.

 
  • 900 g / thawed weight Raw frozen octopus tentacles, thawed in the fridge 24 hours
  • 3l Water
  • 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
  • 200 g Cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 150 g Olives, pitted (I used a mixture of black and green)
  • 2 tbsp Baby capers
  • 3-4 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 5 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
  1. Defrost the raw frozen octopus tentacles slowly for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
  2. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Put the octopus tentacles in the water. Allow the water to come back to a boil, then lower the heat so it simmers. A 2-pound octopus should cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat and cover, allowing the octopus to rest for an additional 15 minutes. After resting, the octopus should be perfectly cooked. Take the octopus out of the water and insert a knife in the thickest part of tenacles. the knife should slide in easily. If not, let rest for a little longer.
  4. Cut the octopus into bite-size pieces. Place them in a large salad bowl. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season and gently toss to coat. Enjoy!

© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


19 comments:

Veronica Lee 10/8/24 12:30

This octopus salad sounds amazing! 😋
The mix of cherry tomatoes, cilantro, olives, and capers must be fantastic with the tender octopus.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 10/8/24 15:00

Hello Angie,
The salad looks yummy, I have never tried octopus.
Take care, enjoy your weekend.

[Reply]
Anonymous 10/8/24 15:12

Thanks for the octopus cooking times -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

[Reply]
DEZMOND 10/8/24 15:33

Very summery blue plate. Never had me an octopus not even back while I still ate fish, but, sadly, they rarely made seafood in my home or next to never, maybe just some lake fish three times a year LOL I do live in a pig and chicken country.

[Reply]
Tom 10/8/24 16:08

...this is something that I've never had!

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 10/8/24 16:19

I'm not sure about that one but I'd sure give it a try!

[Reply]
Frank 10/8/24 16:46

Big fan of octopus and there's no lovelier way to enjoy it, especially in the warm weather than in a salad.

[Reply]
Anonymous 10/8/24 17:41

My husband loves calamari and octopus too and would thoroughly enjoy your salad.

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 10/8/24 19:25

I remember eating octopus in a paella a Spanish friend made me once and it was lovely. This looks great Angie!

[Reply]
Citu 11/8/24 01:16

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Margaret D 11/8/24 07:43

Looks very nice indeed Angie.

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 11/8/24 13:10

I am not (yet) a strict vegetarian, and nothing tastes much better than octopus, but having read so much of late about their intelligence and empathy I doubt whether I could bring myself to eat them any more.

[Reply]
Bill 11/8/24 15:25

Never had octopus and I've never seen it advertised here.

[Reply]
Norma2 11/8/24 16:08


I really like the octopus salad, I will try your recipe. I generally prepare it with olive oil and paprika. Angie, you are right, frozen octopus is very tender

[Reply]
sherry 12/8/24 11:44

this sounds and looks wonderful angie but as much as i like eating octopus, i just can't do it anymore. they are very intelligent creatures it seems so i can't make myself do it ... sorry! cheers sherry

[Reply]
sherry 12/8/24 11:47

my comment as sherry's pickings is in reply to David. :=)

[Reply]
Cocoa and Lavender 12/8/24 17:49

I love octopus salads — and am lucky tgat in Italy they don’t generally use garlic in them — making them perfect for me.

[Reply]
tigerfish 21/8/24 02:40

I wish I can find good quality frozen octopus here.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top