Search Angie's Recipes


Fennel and Anchovy Gratin with Parmesan


© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


It’s so easy to make and put together this rich, flavourful and delicious side dish, which is perfect to serve with just about anything. First the fennels were blanched, then drained and baked with anchovy, heavy cream, nutmeg, thyme and Parmesan. If you want this keto and gluten free, replace the breadcrumbs with ground pork rinds or simply leave it out all together. Don't want to use Parmesan? Feel free to use other hard cheese like Grana Padano or Pecorino Romano.

 
  • 1-1.2 kg / 2-3 Fennel bulbs
  • 45 g Anchovy in olive oil, drained and chopped
  • 300 ml Heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper
  • 75 g Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
  • 75 g Breadcrumbs
  • 6 Thyme sprigs
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Trim the bases of the fennel bulbs and cut off the top stalks and fronds. Cut the bulbs lengthways through the base in thick slices 0.5-1cm thick. Drain the anchovies and reserve the olive oil for the fennels. Chop the anchovies.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add in 2 teaspoons of salt. Wash the fennel slices, then boil them until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain well and toss with a tablespoon of reserved olive oil from anchovy.
  3. Season the heavy cream with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
  4. Lay half the fennel slices in an ovenproof gratin dish and then top with the chopped anchovies. Cover with the remaining fennel slices.
  5. Pour the prepared cream over the fennel and cover the dish with foil. Bake in the preheated hot oven for 25-30 minutes, until the cream has thickened and absorbed the flavours.
  6. Mix together the Parmesan, breadcrumbs and thyme leaves in a bowl.
  7. Remove the foil and sprinkle the gratin with the mixed cheese and breadcrumbs, then return to the oven 10-15 minutes until the top is golden.

© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


28 comments:

eileeninmd 15/2/24 12:14

Sounds like a tasty recipe, thanks for sharing!
Take care, enjoy your day!

[Reply]
DEZMOND 15/2/24 14:19

I like that spoon! I also used oven today, made some corn flour and oats bread with leeks.

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 15/2/24 16:14

El hinojo no lo utilizo en la cocina, no tengo costumbre, pero me gustan todo tipo de tartas saladas y esta también lo haría, seguro que si la pruebo repito.

[Reply]
LoveT. 15/2/24 18:37

I love fennel, thanks for the idea and the recipe. Fantastic Pics!

[Reply]
MELODY JACOB 15/2/24 18:38


This recipe for baked fennel gratin sounds absolutely delicious and full of flavor!

[Reply]
JoAnna 15/2/24 19:04

Kocham koper, dla mnie to pyszne jedzonko.

[Reply]
COCINA Y REPOSTERÍA DE ANTAÑO 15/2/24 21:03

¡Toda una delicia este gratinado de hinojo!

[Reply]
roentare 15/2/24 22:45

It must be very flavoursome

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 15/2/24 23:37

What a nice gratin full of flavors!

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 16/2/24 00:46

I'm not a fan of the anchovy but it does look good!

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 16/2/24 01:23

Such a yummy side dish, Angie! I always forget about using fennel---but now it's back on my radar :)

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 16/2/24 01:44

This sounds amazing. I think I want to eat at your house sometime. Grin!

[Reply]
Javier 16/2/24 08:20

Sounds great and i imagine this dish full of flavours!

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 16/2/24 09:40

Looks excellent Angie and the herbs on the top look pretty too. It’s a pretty dish!

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 16/2/24 11:08

Looks great, and I bet it tastes great too.

[Reply]
The Velvet Runway 16/2/24 14:50

Sadly I'm allergic to anchovies, but this looks like a very tasty recipe!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

[Reply]
savorthebest 16/2/24 19:53

This looks so good, I love fennel.

[Reply]
Tom 16/2/24 19:56

...Angie, I often have to search out your ingredients, I live in a cave.

[Reply]
Rose world 17/2/24 11:50

Oooh. Gratin. I like this dish.

[Reply]
Anonymous 18/2/24 06:31

Anchovies are another item that are not well-loved in the United States. Personally, I think they are wonderful, not only as an ingredient (which adds wonderful umami to any dish) but on a piece of baguette with butter. Beautiful dish! David (C&L)

[Reply]
Eva Taylor 18/2/24 15:21

What a nice change from a potato gratin. The anchovies must give it a wonderful umami. I make a low carb bread that I dry out in the oven and pulse in my food processor for bread crumbs, I really think it enhances the dish for texture.
Eva https://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/

[Reply]
Judee 18/2/24 21:32

Angie, you use the most amazing ingredients. I always forget about using fennel and my husband does really like and loves anchovies. He would love this dish!!

[Reply]
Ben | Havocinthekitchen 19/2/24 00:47

As always, you've got some of the most unique flavour and textures combinations on your blog! This gratin looks phenomenal!

[Reply]
sherry 21/2/24 22:36

this sounds very tasty Angie. I love anchovies and parmesan and I don't mind a bit of fennel. Funny isn't it to think that you can get either male or female fennel? I remember our Ukrainian friend telling me about this!

[Reply]
Anonymous 4/3/24 00:21

I really like anchovies used in this way. So unexpected and of course, delicious. Lovely. :-) ~Valentina

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top