Search Angie's Recipes


Sugarbeet Salad with Dill and Feta Dressing


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Like sugarcanes, sugarbeets are primarily used to produce sugar and molasses. But they are also great to serve as a winter vegetable, just like their relative red beetroot. You usually won't find sugarbeets in the grocery store, some farmer markets might carry them though. Use parsnip, parsley root or kohlrabi for the recipe if you can't find them.
Sugarbeets can be consumed either roasted/stirfried/pureed or raw when young and are grated or sliced into salads. They have white, fleshy root with a unique taste. Great to serve with game and you can also make latkes with sugarbeets in place of potatoes.

 
Feta DressingSalad
  • 2 Garlic cloves
  • 1 Organic lemon
  • 100 g Feta
  • 150 g Greek-style yoghurt
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 tbsp Fresh dill, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 Sugarbeet (700-800 g), peeled and grated
  • 100 g Snow peas, halved if large
  • 30 g Fresh dill, chopped
  • 100 g Pomegranate seeds
  • 2 tbsp Toasted pine nuts, optional
  1. Peel and roughly chop the garlic cloves. Use hot water to wash lemon and dry it. Grate the peel and squeeze the juice.
  2. Place feta, yoghurt, olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and chopped garlic in a food processor and process until combined and creamy. Stir in lemon zest and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice if necessary.
  3. Clean the sugarbeet thoroughly, then peel and roughly grate it with a mandoline or box grater. Break the stem ends off of the snow peas and pull off the strings. Rinse and dry well.
  4. In a large salad bowl, add in grated sugarbeets, snow peas, chopped dill and pomegranate seeds. Add in feta dressing. Toss until well combined. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over if using.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


31 comments:

Anonymous 3/11/23 12:19

Judee from GF A-Z Blog: I love the beautiful look of this salad and the interesting vegetables in it. The dressing sounds like it brings it all together.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 3/11/23 13:16

People used to live on it back in Medieval times. It is interesting that my Vojvodina is covered with it as we are a huge producer of sugar, but we do not have it at the green markets, guess people do not eat it raw.

[Reply]
Chef Mimi 3/11/23 14:09

This is so beautiful! A great salad, and a fabulous creamy dressing!

[Reply]
Julie 3/11/23 14:14

I have never tasted a sugar beet, interesting and refreshing salad..looks yum dear :)

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 3/11/23 14:15

What a marvelous salad, Angie! I love anything with beets and hope to find sugarbeets one day!

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 3/11/23 17:03

What a fresh salad Angie, I love it!

[Reply]
Pam 3/11/23 19:37

Great combination of flavors and textures.

[Reply]
David 3/11/23 19:57

Angie, I've never seen a sugar beet, nor have I ever seen them in a store. Always something new and different from you! Salad looks good and while I don't like red beets, I think that I'd like this version. As for your consumption of a 600 gram porterhouse steak, that's about 1 pound 5 oz. of meat. I'm not sure at my age that I could eat that much steak at a sitting. Back in my younger days, I managed to consume a salad, a huge baked potato with all the fixings...and a 42 oz. ribeye in a restaurant in Dallas Texas. A porterhouse steak the size of the one you ate would cost at least $25 at the butcher shop here. A 'choice' ribeye steak (1 pound) could be found for about $20 a pound but a prime or dry aged ribeye could cost from $25 to $30 per pound. We had grilled flank steak last night... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 3/11/23 23:39

That really looks amazing, yum!

[Reply]
Sherry's Pickings 4/11/23 09:37

i've never seen a sugarbeet and i didn't know you could eat them like this. How fascinating!

[Reply]
eileeninmd 4/11/23 09:51

Hello Angie,
The salad looks delicious, lots of yummy flavors. Thanks for sharing.
Take care, have a great weekend.

[Reply]
savorthebest 4/11/23 17:14

What a great salad. Love it.

[Reply]
roentare 4/11/23 21:44

Fresh looking salads is a great blessing

[Reply]
Bill 4/11/23 22:29

This salad sounds and looks good.

[Reply]
Tom 5/11/23 00:03

...I have heard of sugar beets and have had beets, but never sugar beets!

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 5/11/23 03:20

Gracias por la receta. Nunca he probado ese tipo de remolacha. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Veronica Lee 5/11/23 04:20

I can almost taste the yummy combo of flavors just from the photos 🥗😍
Happy Sunday, Angie!

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 5/11/23 07:30

I do not like beets, period. But this actually looks good to me. I am not sure I can find sugar beets here but I could certainly use one of the substitute veggies.

[Reply]
Rose world 5/11/23 10:06

Never had sugarbeet. Not sure I would enjoy this salad.

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 5/11/23 11:46

I am quite sure that I have never eaten sugar beet except as transformed into syrup. I doubt that I would even recognize it if I saw it in a store.

[Reply]
DUTA 5/11/23 11:49

I keep away from anything sugar, so I don't know about sugar beets. But your feta salad looks simple and delicious, and definitely worth a try.

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 6/11/23 01:03

I've never seen a sugar beet before. Are they sweeter than a beet? But I like how you can cook with them too. Happy new week Angie.

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 6/11/23 02:01

I have never tried sugarbeet before, but your salad looks delicious!.........Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 6/11/23 05:22

@My name is Erika. Not really, I think they are just as sweet as the red beet.

[Reply]
Carol @Comfort Spring Station 6/11/23 12:39

I'm curious to taste sugar beets - that's a new one for me!

[Reply]
MELODY JACOB 6/11/23 18:55

This is top quality salad

[Reply]
Anonymous 6/11/23 23:07

Like the other David, I’ve never seen a sugarbeet anywhere! This sounds fantastic, though. I wonder where I could find them… David (Cocoa & Lavender)

[Reply]
tigerfish 7/11/23 03:03

Don't think I have seen sugar beets here. So much flavors from the dill, feta, toasted pine nuts going into this sugar beet salad.

[Reply]
Raymund 9/11/23 03:43

This sugarbeet salad with feta dressing sounds like a delightful and healthy dish. The combination of sweet sugarbeets, fresh snow peas, tangy feta dressing, and the crunch of pine nuts must create a wonderful balance of flavors and textures. It's a great recipe for those looking for a unique and refreshing salad to enjoy.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top