Search Angie's Recipes


Crispy Pig Ears with Chilli Sauce


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Evenly thin sliced strips of pig ears are first slow cooked in a pot water with garlic, peppercorns and herb, then fried in ghee until crispy and served with chilli sauce. Don’t fear the pigs' ear. People all over the world eat them and they are considered a delicacy in some parts of the world. It’s putting the whole pig to good use and more sustainable, less wasteful and they are less expensive too. In China, pig's ears are braised with innards and served as an appetizer. In Japen, they are pickled or sauteed with vegetables. Europeans also like pig ears boiled, stewed, smoked or roasted. The crunchy cartilage along with the chewy gelatinous skin and meat...you really have to try it to know the taste.
Pig ears contain lots of collagen, so they must be cooked low and slow. Cover the pig ears in water and cook until tender (2.5-3 hours) before frying them.

 
  • 3-4 / 600 g Pig ears, preferrable organic and local raised
  • Water
  • 2-3 Garlic cloves , peeled
  • 1 tsp Dried thyme
  • 1 tsp Dired oregano
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • 1 tsp Black peppercorns
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 500 g Ghee for deep frying
  • Salad to serve
  • Chilli sauce to serve (homemade or storebought)
  1. Wash the pig ears thoroughly and scrape off any hair. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, gently place the pig ears into the saucepan and parboil them for 5 minutes. This process is to remove any potential scum or impurities.
  2. Remove the pig's ears from the boiling water and place them into another saucepan. Add enough water to cover the ears. Add garlic cloves and spices. Bring it to a boil. Add in black pepper and salt, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer until they are fork tender, 2.5-3 hours, checking a couple of times to make sure the pig ears are still submerged. Remove the pig ears and place them on a wire rack to cool. Discard the liquid or use it as stock.
  3. Onc cool, dry the ears with paper towels and place in covered container in the refrigerator overnight.
  4. Dry the pig ears again with some paper towels and cut into thin strips.
  5. Fill a large saucepan with ghee and heat over medium-high heat until ghee melts and temperature reaches 350F/180C degrees. Fry strips in batches (don't overcrowd) for 3-4 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Drain, season and serve them on a bed of salad with some homemade chilli sauce.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com






© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


29 comments:

DEZMOND 11/4/23 23:13

Why would you eat poor piggies' ears, Jesus, deary???

[Reply]
roentare 11/4/23 23:17

Childhood snack done in the way I like it

[Reply]
Tom 12/4/23 00:18

...it looks good, but I must say that it doesn't sound good!

[Reply]
tigerfish 12/4/23 01:43

I like them for the cartilage and collagen. But they are not common here except for some Chinese deli which sells them cooked as appetizers

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 12/4/23 01:45

I would have to pass on that one too.

[Reply]
Balvinder 12/4/23 03:06

I've heard people enjoying offal meat but never pig ears.

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 12/4/23 03:26

Gracias por la receta, no se si me anime hacerla. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Raymund 12/4/23 04:55

Thanks for sharing this recipe! Glad to see pigs ear on your menu, we use them a lot on our local Filipino cuisine

[Reply]
Rose world 12/4/23 05:13

I never tasted pig's ears!! It is common over here like those Chinese dishes such as kueh chap, pork leg rice etc, but I don't take it!!

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 12/4/23 10:15

Las he comido de pequeña en un guiso cocidas, después no las he preparado porque en casa son muy tiquismiquis y no les gustan. Pero a ti te han quedado de rechupete.
Un beso.

[Reply]
Anonymous 12/4/23 11:55

I've never eaten them strangely, might have a nibble if someone else cooked them for me. Interesting recipe though.

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 12/4/23 17:24

Not sure about this, but I would try it if someone else made it.

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 12/4/23 17:27

Well, I have to say Dezmond's comment made me laugh, but as my daughter-in-law tells me, meat is meat. I grew up in an area where everything was used. Pig's feet and pork rinds were very popular, along with everything else but I don't think they realized you could make a meal out of pigs ears. If they did I am sure we would have had it. Beautifully presented as always Angie, thank you.

[Reply]
Christine 12/4/23 17:52

Ooh don't know about this one!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 12/4/23 18:00

I have feet never ears I am sure they are delicious!

[Reply]
Anonymous 12/4/23 18:52

That looks truly delicious!

My wife and I have eaten pig ears many of times, and we really like them!

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 12/4/23 23:27

This looks interesting. Here in the US you never find pigs ears-at least in my area. Maybe if you have a butcher you can ask for them...how do they taste? hugs-Erika

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 13/4/23 02:53

A wonderful dish!!...I never had pig ears, but it looks delicious!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Ben | Havocinthekitchen 13/4/23 03:42

I've never had pig ears - in fact I've only seen them as a dog's treats, and our puppy loves them :) While this recipe sounds like being everyone's cup of tea, I would actually gladly give it a try!

[Reply]
Javier 13/4/23 11:15

I've never eating pig ears, but look delicious

[Reply]
Julie 13/4/23 13:48

Pig ears recipe is something new to me, haven't tasted.. Looks so delicious !!

[Reply]
Carol @Comfort Spring Station 13/4/23 15:09

I'm sure it's good but pigs ears don't appeal to me

[Reply]
Veronica Lee 13/4/23 16:55

I would have to pass on this too.
Hugs and blessings, Angie

[Reply]
Diane 13/4/23 17:37

Interesting, I must have a look, but generally here the ears are attached to a head so I would have to make brawn as well. Anything spicy goes down well in this house. Cheers Diane

[Reply]
COCINA Y REPOSTERÍA DE ANTAÑO 13/4/23 21:24

Hola Angie. Aquí en España hay mucha tradición de comer oreja de cerdo, se suele preparar bien frita con aceite de oliva o con un buen guiso de habichuelas.. Sin duda tu receta es deliciosa, y acompañada con la miel tiene que estar exquisita
Besos

[Reply]
Grace 14/4/23 03:48

Gracias Angie!; Nos acercas a la cultura culinaria.
No haría este plato; aún así es interesante conocer la variedad alimenticia que ofrece este "pobre animalito". Cada país o región del Globo tiene sus costumbres; algunas exóticas y sorprendentes.
Ésta; es una de ellas.
Un abrazo.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top