Search Angie's Recipes


Charred Asparagus Tonnato


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


This beautiful spring dish with green asparagus and edible flowers is a twist on the classic vitello tonnato, a Piedmontese dish of cold, sliced veal covered with a creamy, mayonnaise-like sauce that has been flavoured with tuna. The simple grilled asparagus works so well with the creamy tuna sauce. It is a delicious side dish for the bbq but can also be served as a starter.

 
  • 500 g Green asparagus, trimmed
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 160 g Can tuna in spring water, drained and reserved
  • 1 Medium free-range egg yolk
  • 75 ml Olive oil
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Edible flowers to garnish (I used daisies, dandelion flowers, and cornflowers)
  • Dill sprigs to garnish
  1. Wash and dry the asparagus. Trim the woody ends (2-3cm) of the asparagus off. Drizzle the prepared asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat a grill pan over medium-hight heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Place asparagus in a single layer in the preheated grill pan and cook for about 5 minutes until bright green, tender and lightly charred. You may have to griddle the asparagus in two batches.
  3. Meanwhile prepare the sauce, put the tuna and egg yolk in a food processor and whizz together. Then, with the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil in a thin stream. If the mixture seems a little thick after adding all the oil, add a teaspoon of two of reserved tuna water – you want it to be a little thicker than double cream, but still loose enough to pour. Taste and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  4. Pour the sauce onto a serving dish, then arrange the asparagus spears on top. Sprinkle dill sprigs and edible flowers, then finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




30 comments:

Christine 21/4/23 23:03

Pretty with the edible flowers.

[Reply]
roentare 21/4/23 23:44

This is so good for my keto diet

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 22/4/23 00:04

I'll bet that is good, I really like asparagus!

[Reply]
Tom 22/4/23 01:00

...I've got asparagus to cut out of my garden, should try this.

[Reply]
The Happy Whisk 22/4/23 01:54

I love asparagus. One year we hit a local farm and man, were those good. No trimming needed, ate all of it. And often, raw because they were just that fresh. Delightful.

[Reply]
Citu 22/4/23 04:58

Gracias por la receta, Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Mbul Kecil 22/4/23 07:47

yummy....it's full of nutricious but still beautiful plating aniway...

i like tuna with medium range egg yolk...^^

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 22/4/23 08:40

Como guarnición son estupendos esos espárragos, pero por sí solos también, esa salsita debe estar muy buena, no he probado ninguna parecida y la verdad, me gustaría.
Un beso.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 22/4/23 11:38

Hello Angie,
Another yummy recipe, I love asparagus. Thanks for sharing. Have a happy weekend.

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 22/4/23 13:36

If it has asparagus count me in!

[Reply]
DEZMOND 22/4/23 13:55

Asparagus scares the heck out of me, but I love the delightful flower decoration of the dish!

[Reply]
Bill 22/4/23 16:42

I like asparagus, I'll have to give this a try.

[Reply]
Jeff the Chef 22/4/23 16:48

What a great dish! I make chicken tonnato all the time in summer. Now I don't know if I should try this? Or try adding charred asparagus to my chicken!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 22/4/23 17:15

we just cook asparagus... healthy and yummy...
# Thank you for sharing your recipe

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 22/4/23 19:20

Your recipes are always delicious Angie, and I am always in awe of your presentations. You are a great teacher and I am trying to learn. Thank you!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 22/4/23 22:04

looks delicious and the perfect side dish with any meal !

[Reply]
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness 22/4/23 23:04

This dish sounds delicious with the tuna and asparagus.

[Reply]
COCINA Y REPOSTERÍA DE ANTAÑO 23/4/23 12:05

Hola Angie. Precioso plato, seguro que está delicioso 😋. Besos 😘😘😘

[Reply]
Marissa 23/4/23 13:41

What an absolutely gorgeous spring dish, Angie! At once decadent and fresh - perfect!

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 24/4/23 03:56

I love tonnato!!.....this idea is awesome!!....I love the combination and the presentation!!.........Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Anonymous 24/4/23 04:21

wonderful sauce for the asparagus and looks so beautiful with the pretty delicate flowers. Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 25/4/23 00:08

The flowers make the asparagus look so much like spring. And they're pretty too. I don't know much about edible flowers, but the ones you picked really looked nice too. Can you eat them without cooking them?

[Reply]
Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina 26/4/23 04:51

I'm impressed that you know about 'tonnata' and I can't wait to try your version. The flower petals are so delightful and just sing 'spring'!!!

[Reply]
tigerfish 27/4/23 04:19

The tuna imparts savory flavors to the sauce which complements so well with asparagus.

[Reply]
Raymund 28/4/23 03:13

I love the twist on the classic vitello tonnato with the grilled asparagus and creamy tuna sauce. I can't wait to try this out as a side dish for my next BBQ or even as a starter. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

[Reply]
Anonymous 9/5/23 12:47

You gave us many wonderful ideas this morning. I really like this one because it looks amazing and I have the ingredients sitting in my home waiting to be used. Thanks for all your great idea. Bernadette, New Classic Recipe

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top