Search Angie's Recipes


Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken

Labels: { , , }

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Piri piri (or peri peri / peli-peli) chicken, a very popular Portuguese dish, is traditionally made with piri piri chilli peppers which originated in South Africa, and were imported to Portugal from two Portuguese colonies, Angola and Mozambique. However, you can use any hot chilli such as bird’s eye chilli, or a even chilli paste (I used sambal olek here) to make the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for 4-6 hours for the optimum flavor and texture. You don't want to marinate it longer than overnight as the marinade contains accid which will result more stringy and dry chicken if you leave it too long. Serve this easy one-pan traybake with rice (to soak up the extra sauce), a salad or potatoes for a wonderful weekday meal.

 
  • 3 (1.2 kg) Chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
  • 4 Large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp Dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp Sambal olek
  • 4 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp Sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp Black pepper
  • 2 tbsp Coconut sugar
  • 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
  • 1 Lemon, juiced
  • 1 Red chilli pepper, sliced into rings, to garnish
  • Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
  • Salad and lemon wedges, to serve
  1. In a large bowl combine garlic, oregano leaves, samba olek, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, brown sugar, smoked paprika & lime juice. Mix all ingredients to a smooth paste.
  2. Rub each side of the chicken quarters with the marinade. Arrange the chicken quarters on a tray lined with aluminum foil or baking paper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight to develop the flavours.
  3. Preheat oven to 200C/400F and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices, for 40 minutes or until brown and juices run clean when chicken is pierced with a skewer. Remove from oven and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Serve with your favourite salad and lemon wedges.

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


46 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 16/10/22 22:06

That looks so flavorful I love this kind of Cuisine if I can find the ingredients I am definitely making this

[Reply]
roentare 16/10/22 22:52

It looks so flavoursome! I thought you were vegan originally lol

[Reply]
Anonymous 16/10/22 23:04

Angie, the colors and the flavors look amazing in this recipe. As usual I love your presentation too. Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 17/10/22 01:05

It looks so delicious!!...the crust is so tempting!!.....wonderful!......Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 17/10/22 01:26

That's a lot of nice flavors and I'll bet it's really good.

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 17/10/22 02:26

Gracias por la receta, se ve muy rico. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Tom 17/10/22 02:41

...oh wow, this looks great.

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 17/10/22 07:53

Los asados de pollo nos gustan mucho y los preparo a menudo, eso sí, con poco picante, pero por lo demás tu receta es ideal. Besos

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 17/10/22 08:11

Beautiful chicken. I am sure they taste delicious.

[Reply]
Rose world 17/10/22 10:39

Wow! What a mouth watering dish. I love piri-piri chicken but I go for milder spiciness as can't take too spicy.

[Reply]
Anonymous 17/10/22 11:56

Hi Angie, the chicken looks amazing flavorful. Thanks for the recipe, Bernadette at http://newclassicrecipe.com.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 17/10/22 13:42

Poor chicken! They are butchered at about the age of just three or four months. It looks a bit burnt because of all the spices.

[Reply]
Anonymous 17/10/22 13:58

The chicken looks so luscious, I just love the colour the chilli turns the chicken. It’s definitely too hot for me but I may try the recipe with a chilli that’s not as hot. It looks s so beautiful.
Éva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 17/10/22 17:08

I've only had piri piri chicken once, and that was when visiting London years ago. I remember it being very good. And yours looks good too. Happy new week Angie. Hugs-Erika

[Reply]
Ben | Havocinthekitchen 17/10/22 17:52

Oh, this chicken looks perfect and so inviting - fantastic flavours and so beautifully browned. I love the use of coconut sugar, too.

[Reply]
speedy70 17/10/22 19:17

Molto appetitoso il pollo così cucinato!

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 17/10/22 19:39

This roasted chicken is wonderful!

[Reply]
Hena Tayeb 17/10/22 19:42

Oh my mouth is watering.. that looks fantastic!

[Reply]
Anonymous 17/10/22 19:57

Loving all of these vibrant flavors, Angie! And your chicken looks like it's cooked to juicy perfection.

[Reply]
Bill 17/10/22 20:47

The chicken looks mouth watering.

[Reply]
Muriel 17/10/22 22:52

Ton assiette est superbe, colorée et épicée à souhait... tout ce que j'aime !

[Reply]
Neil 18/10/22 14:18

I love Portuguese food. Loads of flavours going on there. Yum!

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 18/10/22 15:44

Beautiful, it should be in a magazine!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 18/10/22 15:56

Portuguese Pirii Piri Chichen is beautiful name and new for me....
make mouthwatering... yummy

[Reply]
Marcelle 18/10/22 15:58

I have heard of this dish and I have always wanted to try it! Thanks for sharing your recipe Angie, it really looks spicy and super good!! 😍

[Reply]
Anonymous 18/10/22 17:36

Yum. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

[Reply]
David 18/10/22 17:53

Angie, Great looking chicken dish...with a bit of spicy pop, just the way we like it! Love the little tomato salad side and I'd add a little Jasmine rice too. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Pam 18/10/22 18:56

This chicken has me drooling! It looks so delicious.

[Reply]
Velva- Evening with a Sandwich 18/10/22 21:41

Hi Angie, the timing of this post! We were in Upstate New York and there was a food truck that served Peri-Peri chicken. I kept meaning to look it up. Now, I don't have too-I knew it would be delicious.

Velva

[Reply]
Tisa Jacob 19/10/22 05:55

Oh my goodness, Angie. This looks so delicious! I love the color on the thighs. Need to bookmark the recipe.

[Reply]
Javier 19/10/22 13:22

This chicken makes me hungry! I think it's beautiful and so delicious!

[Reply]
Chef Mimi 19/10/22 16:06

goodness, this looks fabulous! Such great flavors... and it's pretty!

[Reply]
Lowcarb team member 19/10/22 22:35

I'm sure this dish tastes great.
I like the look of the tomatoes in your photographs ...

All the best Jan

[Reply]
Raymund 20/10/22 04:25

Wow this is a flavour explosion, loving this recipe

[Reply]
Sherry's Pickings 20/10/22 06:01

i can smell it from here angie :) Looks so delicious.

[Reply]
Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews 20/10/22 07:20

We both love really spicy food and regularly use chilli in our cooking, but thanks for the great tip about leaving meat to marinade for too long, I didn't realise that's what could happen. I would probably use chicken breasts for this dish as neither of us is keen on chicken on the bone.

[Reply]
bread&salt 20/10/22 14:57

WOW looks perfect! Chicken base dishes are always better. Thanks for the recipe, Greetings

[Reply]
Easyfoodsmith 20/10/22 15:22

The chicken looks very appetising and delicious!

[Reply]
tigerfish 22/10/22 00:08

Tried some Peri Peri nuts as snacks the other day, and they are SPICY!

[Reply]
eileeninmd 22/10/22 14:01

Hello,
This chicken recipe sounds wonderful, I like all the ingredients. Another great recipe! Have a happy day!

[Reply]
The Velvet Runway 25/10/22 19:39

This looks amazing! I have to try this recipe!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

[Reply]
Valentina 27/10/22 04:19

I always have Sambal Oelek at the ready. This recipe sounds right up my alley. Can't wait to try it. :-) ~Valentina

[Reply]
Noob Cook 31/10/22 06:40

I love Piri-Piri chicken as I love spicy foods! Didn’t think of using sambal to make it.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top