Search Angie's Recipes


Braided Coconut Buns


© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


These sweet little buns are buttery, light, and fluffy with a sweet coconut filling. Serve them as breakfast, a snack or even dessert that no one can resist. If you don't care about the coconut, then use this enriched dough recipe for the cinnamon buns. They will stay fresh in a plastic box at room temperaute for 2-3 days, but of course nothing can beat devouring them still warm, fresh from the oven of course. Freeze the rest in the freezer bags for a rainy day.

 
DoughCoconut Filling
  • 200 g Full-fat milk, at room-temperature
  • 2 Medium eggs, at room-temperature
  • 500 g White bread flour (I used organic German flour #550)
  • 100 g Whole grain flour
  • 20 g Fresh yeast (or 10 g dried yeast)
  • 5 g Salt
  • 50 g Caster sugar
  • 100 g Unsalted butter
  • 1 Small egg, beaten (for the glaze)
  • 2 tbsp Caster sugar (for the topping, optional)
  • 75 g Butter, softened
  • 30 g Sugar
  • 30 g Vanilla sugar
  • 1 Large egg
  • 150 g Desiccated coconut flakes
  • 75 g Coconut milk (or whole milk)
  1. Place the milk and eggs into the bowl of your table mixer then add the flours. Break in the fresh yeast to one side of the bowl, then add the salt, sugar and butter to the other side.
  2. Mix on a slow speed for 4 minutes then increase the speed to medium and mix for a further 10-12 minutes until the dough comes away cleanly from the side of the bowl.
  3. Turn out the dough on a work surface and shape it into a ball. Lightly oil the mixing bowl and return the dough ball. Cover and leave on your kitchen counter for around 60 minutes or until double in size.
  4. Cream the softened butter with sugars. Mix in egg. Now add in coconut flakes and stir to combine. Finally mix in coconut cream and let sit for 5 minutes until moisture has been fully absorbed.
  5. Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough into a 45x50 cm rectangle. Spread the prepared coconut filling over the top of the dough.
  6. With the long side facing you, fold in half lengthways to enclose the filling and slice it widthways into 12 portions, each roughly 3.5cm across.
  7. Next, use a sharp knife to cut twice down the length of each strip to make three strands. Plait the three strands together and repeat to make 12 individual braids. Take each plait and roll it up along its length to create a knot.
  8. Grease a 12-cup muffin tray (or small tartlet moulds) and pop the knots into the tray. Cover and allow to prove for 1 hour.
  9. Preheat the oven to 200С/400F. Brush the knots with the egg and sprinkle some sugar over the top if using. Bake in the middle of hot oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


49 comments:

Brian's Home Blog 14/10/22 00:53

Oh my, I'm pretty sure I could eat a plate or two of those!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 14/10/22 01:43

coconut bun is one of my favorites ... yummy

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 14/10/22 02:15

Gracias por la receta. La haré pronto. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Tom 14/10/22 02:22

...your bake goods are works of art.

[Reply]
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness 14/10/22 02:51

These buns look amazing. I love coconut, so these would be perfect for me.

[Reply]
Rose world 14/10/22 06:24

Never seen braided coconut bun. Yours looked good. I like the traditional coconut bun. The coconut filling with grated coconut on top of the bun. Yummy and great for tea break.

[Reply]
Grace 14/10/22 06:37

Tenemos el mismo gusto. Amo el coco Angie! Hace unos días hice "coquitos"; así le decimos a unos bollitos que se hacen con coco rallado y clara batida a nieve. Luego al horno.
Probaré tu receta. Se apetece.
Muchas gracias.
Feliz fin de semana!!
☀️🤗

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 14/10/22 07:20

Wow! Beautiful coconut buns and I am sure they taste yummy! I am now thinking of a hot cup of coffee to go with these buns.

[Reply]
Margaret D 14/10/22 07:51

They do look nice and I love coconut.

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 14/10/22 07:57

Las masas se te dan de maravilla, estos bollos están para no dejar ni las migas, y el coco me encanta.
Besitos

[Reply]
Sherry's Pickings 14/10/22 10:30

oh that coconut filling is making me drool angie. this looks amazing.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 14/10/22 10:31

Those look wundabar, dear, and how lovely to use coconut instead of the usual cinammon filling. I do prefer cocosnus! I might have me a white Milka with coconut for dessert today.

[Reply]
roentare 14/10/22 11:59

Coconut buns look so fluffy to have a bite. Sure, the flavour will be great too

[Reply]
Anonymous 14/10/22 13:01

Hi Angie, again you have created little morsels of art. Bernadette, newclassicrecipe.com

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 14/10/22 13:13

These buns are GORGEOUS, Angie!! And I was sold as soon as I saw "coconut!"

[Reply]
Neil 14/10/22 13:22

Oh these remind me of making coconut buns with my granny. I haven't made those in ages. Yours a definitely a lot more stylish though Angie. Love what you've done here!

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 14/10/22 14:44

Oh Angie, another beautiful bread, the coconut filling sounds yummy!

[Reply]
Bill 14/10/22 16:46

I know I would enjoy these yummy buns.

[Reply]
David 14/10/22 20:26

Angie, Love this recipe! My wife has a thing for any baked item that contains coconut. Slather with butter when warm and devour! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 14/10/22 20:43

those looks so fluffy and I love the filling coconut is my favorite I use a lot of that milk

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 15/10/22 08:45

I am going to have to try these soon! I love coconut!

[Reply]
eileeninmd 15/10/22 13:33

Yum, your coconut buns look delicious. I love coconut too. Another great recipe!
Take care, enjoy your day and weekend.

[Reply]
Jeff the Chef 15/10/22 16:10

How unusual! And delicious!

[Reply]
Balvinder 15/10/22 18:56

I wish I could just take a bite. That coconut filling is making me drool.

[Reply]
Pattie @ Olla-Podrida 15/10/22 19:09

Angie, these are BEAUTIFUL! We were just having a discussion in my family the other day about who likes coconut and who doesn't, and most of us do. I'm saving this recipe. Yum!

[Reply]
Maria Grazia Ferrarazzo Maineri 15/10/22 19:28

Simply perfect, Angie. Thanks again for your precious recipes.
MG

[Reply]
Velva- Evening with a Sandwich 16/10/22 01:02

I love coconut. I would absolutely love these buns. Delicious.

[Reply]
Veronica Lee 16/10/22 10:53

Amazing bread art, Angie! 👍👍

[Reply]
Anonymous 16/10/22 11:47

What a beautiful bun, the coconut filling must be absolutely delicious.
Éva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/

[Reply]
Happy Retiree's Kitchen 16/10/22 12:03

The coconut filling sets these apart Angie, they look absolutely delicious.

[Reply]
Marcelle 16/10/22 15:43

These look like a breakfast, snack or dessert I certainly won't be able to resist!! 😍 Thank you for the detailed pictures on how you made these, they will help so much when I try them... sooon!!! Thanks for the recipe, Angie!

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 17/10/22 01:06

Great for my coffee!....so delicate and delicious at the same time!......Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 17/10/22 17:07

I love the idea of a coconut bun. Yours look yummy Angie! hugs-Erika

[Reply]
Muriel 17/10/22 22:30

Ces petits pains à la noix de coco sont à croquer : beaux et très tentants...

[Reply]
Tisa Jacob 19/10/22 05:56

Looks like a delightful muffin. We have a similar recipe in India, and this is just calling my name,

[Reply]
Pam 19/10/22 18:07

I love coconut anything! They look delicious.

[Reply]
Laura. M 19/10/22 19:47

Me encanta. Yo hago bolitas de coco.
Buena semana.
Un abrazo.

[Reply]
Lowcarb team member 19/10/22 22:36

Those who enjoy coconut will like these ...

All the best Jan

[Reply]
Anonymous 20/10/22 01:56

I love how you made that collage of photos to show how you made the braided buns. So helpful. Sounds delicious. It's Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog

[Reply]
Raymund 20/10/22 04:26

Those are nice lookign sweet buns, definitely perfect with the coffee I am holding now.

[Reply]
bread&salt 20/10/22 14:59

As usyal , Your presentation photos are perfect dar Angie. I am sure they must be so delicious,

[Reply]
Easyfoodsmith 20/10/22 15:23

Love these cute little braided buns and so delicious too!

[Reply]
tigerfish 22/10/22 00:10

Must be smelling good with aroma of coconut lingering around the kitchen

[Reply]
Julia Rees 25/10/22 19:40

I am a real coconut fan, so I have to try these!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

[Reply]
Noob Cook 31/10/22 06:42

Beautiful braiding (I think my previous comment didn’t went through as I wasn’t logged into Google. The comment system seem not to be working for me when I wasn’t logged on).

[Reply]
Anonymous 31/10/22 18:04

Ooh yes, I definitley want to devour these warm from the oven. We're big coconut fans in this house. They looks so pretty too.

Choclette x

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top