Search Angie's Recipes


Gluten Free Fresh Fig and Walnut Cake


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


This naturally gluten-free, deliciously moist and flavourful cake is made with fresh figs, walnuts and buckwheat flour. The combination of earthy walnuts and sweet ripe figs bring out the best of each other. I have used erythritol sugar to sweetened the batter, but feel free to use caster sugar instead. Besides ground walnuts, you can also use hazelnuts or almonds. It's delicious at the end of a family feast or served for afternoon tea with a simple dust of icing powder or whipped cream, ice cream or Greek yoghurt.

 
BatterTopping
  • 100 g Kerrygold butter, softened
  • 100 g Erythritol sugar (or regular caster sugar)
  • 2 Medium eggs, at room-temperature
  • 2 tsp Lemon zest
  • 80 g Buckwheat flour
  • 1 tbsp Cornstach
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 4 tbsp Buttermilk, at room-temperature
  • 100 g Ground walnuts
  • 100 g Ground walnuts
  • 1 tbsp Erythrito sugar (or regular caster sugar)
  • 60 g Kerrygold butter, softened
  • 7 Fresh figs, halved
  1. Preheat the oven 180C/350F. Grease and line a 20cm / 8inch springform pan with baking paper.
  2. Cream softened butter and erythrito sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly before the next is added. Stir in lemon zest. Sift the flour, cornstach and baking powder together and add it to the creamed butter mixture. Mix until well incorporated. Now add in buttermilk and combine well. Mix in the ground walnuts and pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
  3. For the topping, mix ground walnuts, erythrito sugar and butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly, sprinkle over the batter. Place figs on top.
  4. Bake in the middle of hot oven for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake and come out clean.
  5. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Serve with a dust of icing sugar or whipped cream if desired.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


29 comments:

DEZMOND 20/10/23 13:15

Thanks for creating a recipe for moi, deary :) I am jealous that you have fresh figs, wish we had them I would devour them in matter of seconds LOL I did fry some basil flavoured tofu today breaded in buckwheat flour and water tempura and then dusted in crushed millet crackers. And some garlic pea mash with that.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 20/10/23 14:19

Hello,
Your cake looks and sounds delicious. I have to try baking a cake with a different flour like the buckwheat. I did not know it is gluten free. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

[Reply]
Tom 20/10/23 14:44

...figs are new for me.

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 20/10/23 14:54

Solo hay que verlo para saber que está buenísimo. Es súper apetecible.

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 20/10/23 16:36

This is a beautiful cake. I would like some right now with my morning coffee.

[Reply]
Neil 20/10/23 16:59

It's good to see you using buckwheat flour here Angie. I have to confess all I ever use buckwheat flour for is making pancakes so this gives me something different to make. Thanks!

[Reply]
Bill 20/10/23 17:35

That looks delicious. I like figs and walnuts so I think it would be nice and tasty too.

[Reply]
David 20/10/23 17:47

Angie, Very appealing cake! I don't think that we've ever baked anything with figs and the only buckwheat I've ever eaten was in the form of pancakes. Thanks for opening up the possibilities for various ingredients. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 20/10/23 18:27

Such a beautiful and sweet cake! I love it!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 20/10/23 19:36

so gorgeous I always had a fig tree then something killed it I would love love love this

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 20/10/23 23:07

That looks delicious, and I bet it'd be perfect with a cup of tea. Happy weekend Angie.

[Reply]
roentare 20/10/23 23:11

It looks like a dense cake to eat. Looks magnificent!

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 21/10/23 00:08

So beautiful with the exposed figs across the top of the cake, Angie! Another winner.

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 21/10/23 03:12

I'm making it soon!!....I love this idea!!....perfect for me!!....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Citu 21/10/23 04:19

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
ashok 21/10/23 14:47

Walnut cake is my favorite!

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 21/10/23 15:37

Such an unusual cake, I like the combination of figs and walnuts~

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 21/10/23 17:11

I went to buy figs and they are gone!!....;(......Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
MELODY JACOB 21/10/23 22:27

What a lovely and delicious-looking cake! It's wonderful!

Don't miss my latest article- https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/decoding-instagrams-modesty-debate-are-revealing-trends-empowering-or-indecent.html

[Reply]
Hena Tayeb 21/10/23 22:40

That looks absolutely delicious.

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 22/10/23 06:27

love fig... make cake sweeter and tasty...yummy

[Reply]
COCINA Y REPOSTERÍA DE ANTAÑO 22/10/23 21:29

Hola Angie. Te ha quedado un postre de otoño exquisito. Gracias por compartir 😘

[Reply]
Valentina 24/10/23 21:57

I love buckwheat flour and figs make everything beautiful! :-) ~Valentina

[Reply]
Raymund 29/10/23 23:34

Your fig and walnut cake with buckwheat flour sounds like a delightful gluten-free treat! I love the combination of earthy walnuts and sweet figs; it's such a harmonious pairing. I appreciate that it's versatile, making it suitable for various occasions.

[Reply]
The-FoodTrotter 30/10/23 08:42

I love figs, what a beautiful fruit and it turns lovely in a nice, moist cake :)

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top