© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
Mafé, or maafe, is a traditional West African peanut stew that can be made with beef, lamb, chicken, seafood, or just vegetables. This oven version of mafé features succulent diced beef slowly simmered in a nutty peanut butter sauce. Finish this dish in the oven, you will get melt-in-your-mouth tender beef and perfectly thickened, splatter-free gravy. It is easy to make and tastes even better the next day. Serve it with rice or couscous, but if you are watching your carbs, you can easily enjoy this with cauliflower rice. If you have a peanut allergy or simply want to experiment, you can use almond or cashew butter.
| | |
- 2 tbsp Tallow (or olive oil)
- 1-1.2 kg Chuck roast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp Habanero pepper powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 750 ml Beef stock
- ¾ tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Freshly milled black pepper
- 120 g Unsweetened smooth peanut butter
|
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Melt half of the tallow in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed large pot over medium-high heat. Add in half of the beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions and red pepper and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onions are translucent, scraping up the delicious browned bits from the bottom of the pot as you stir them occasionally. Add in tomato paste, fish sauce and habanero pepper powder. Saute for a few more minutes.
- Add creamy peanut butter and stir until it is fully incorporated. Pour in beef stock and season with salt and pepper. Return the browned beef cubes and any accumulated juices. Stir to mix everything together.
- Transfer the stew to the oven, roast, covered, for about 75 minutes until the beef is tender. In the last 25 minutes of cooking, remove the lid to allow for slight reduction.
© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
34 comments:
Hello Angie,
Another yummy recipe, thanks for sharing.
Take care, enjoy your day and the rest of the week!
My husband loves all his dinners with rice. This looks like a meal he would enjoy.
...this looks very interesting.
I've had this before and it is delicious.
I think I might have made something similar to this before. My book group used to have meals to match the book, and I had picked one from Africa. Yours looks delicious.
What did you put in your rice to make it so yellow?
Temptations like this should be banned! That peanut sauce with the tender braised beef sounds truly irresistible, I'm already getting hungry. Thanks for the recipe, I'm definitely going to try this sometime!
Looks good
Pratinho cheio e bonitinho. rsrsrsrs
Nova Tirinha Publicada. 😼
Abraços 🐾 Garfield Tirinhas Oficial.
Thank you Angie, this looks delicious. I was once given an African dish when invited over for dinner at a friend's house. I remember how much I enjoyed it.
Hearty, comforting, and flavorful. It looks and sounds wonderful.
Ottimo piatto unico, molt molto invitante!!!
I bet that's good and has a nice flavorful kick!
Interesting recipe with beautiful presentations.
Looks tasty, nice presentation.
This is a new one for me, Angie! Beef with that rich peanut sauce looks so hearty and comforting – definitely something I’d love to try.
Fantastic! The fish sauce surprised me! Sounds wonderful.
I think if I substituted chicken it would still work.
Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.
I've cooked with peanuts before.
Dez, it's from beef stock and turmeric powder.
I recently had mole for the first time, and it was very good.
this soup looks so hearty! perfect for winter :)
Looks good Angie.
Margaret D. Feed has rolled over but trouble commenting.
https://whiteangels-thoughts.blogspot.com/
Many thanks for sharing this recipe.
All the best Jan
Really nice to see West African dishes like this pop up, bold, comforting, and full of character. Definitely the kind of recipe that’s right up my alley.
That just arouse my appetite for food after wisdom teeth extraction lol
wow...excellent Angie...I love peanut butter, you reminded me that I need to buy it, I hope I get it.
I'm glad we're reading each other again, that they fixed our blog lists :))
Wishing you a lovely Friday, Andreja!
I need to expand my cuisine to include African.
This mafé looks great Angie, the gravy is yummy.
Oh I'd love to try that! It's time for hearty food.
I love this and make mine with chicken. I’ve had it with lamb, too, but never beef. Definitely want to try this version, Angie.
We love a stew made with peanut butter sauce, yumsss.....
As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!