Search Angie's Recipes


Fried Sprats with Tomato Salad


© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Sprats, aka brislings or spratus spratus, are a small oily fish and rich in high quality protein and beneficial omega-3 fatty acids. Like whitebait, these small oily fish can be eaten whole including head, fins, bones and innards-EVERYTHING. However, it's a matter of personal preference how you prepare them. If you like, you can cook your sprats gutted or with or without head. If you ain't on keto or low-carb, then try dusting the fish with some seasoned flour or dipping them with a beer batter before frying.

 

Fried Sprats with Tomato Salad

adapted from Olive Magazine
  • 30 g Almonds, toasted and chopped
  • 4 Heirloom tomatoes (or any tomatoes you like)
  • 1 Eshallot, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp Mustard powder
  • 4 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 500 g Sprats (or baby sardines)
  • Tallow or lard to fry
  • Dill, chopped
  • Lemon wedges, to serve
  1. Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden and toasted. Remove and roughly chopped.
  2. Cut the heirloom tomatoes into 5mm-thick slices and arrange in a single layer over a large platter.
  3. Whisk together the shallot, vinegar, mustard powder and olive oil with salt and pepper. Drizzle most of dressing over the tomatoes and leave to marinate at room temperature while you fry the fish.
  4. Heat the tallow or lard in a heavy, high-rimmed pan on medium-high heat until melted and very hot. Fry fish in batches, stirring them so they don't stick together, for 2 to 3 minutes per batch, or until golden brown and crispy. Drain the fried fish on a fine-meshed rack or paper towels. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
  5. Pile the sprats over the tomato salad. Top with the toasted almonds, chopped dill, a drizzle of dressing and lemon wedges to serve.

© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




32 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, 21/4/24 15:12

I have a bit of a problem when the little eyes are looking up at me!

[Reply]
Tom 21/4/24 16:00

...Sprats are new for me and I'm with David.

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 21/4/24 16:27

El pescadito frito es algo muy típico por aqui, también acompañarlo con ensalada de tomates. El aderezo es lo que para mi es original, pero lo pienso probar porque está muy rico.

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 21/4/24 17:54

I know this is delicious but I fall into the "no eyes staring at me from the plate" camp.

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 21/4/24 18:23

Yep, I'm not sure about my food looking back at me either!

[Reply]
MELODY JACOB 21/4/24 18:31

Fried sprats with tomato salad sounds like a delightful dish! The combination of crispy fish and tangy tomato salad is sure to please the palate. I appreciate how the recipe offers flexibility in preparation, allowing for personal preferences such as leaving the fish whole or gutting them.

The addition of toasted almonds adds a nice crunch and nuttiness to the dish, while the dressing of red wine vinegar, mustard powder, and olive oil provides a flavorful complement to the tomatoes.

Overall, this recipe seems like a perfect choice for a light and satisfying meal, especially when served with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for a burst of brightness.

I just posted a new post, I invite you to read.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 21/4/24 23:06

You did a very lush and rich styling for this photo shoot.

[Reply]
roentare 22/4/24 00:42

I would love to add some garlic and chili to it

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 22/4/24 01:22

This looks interesting Angie. I love those sauces (well they flavoring). I bet they're just enough to pull this all together. Happy new week.

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 22/4/24 01:23

I would love to try it!....I can't find fresh fish here....looks so yummy!!.........Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Citu 22/4/24 01:42

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Mbul Kecil 22/4/24 02:58

This is my favourite fish....small but delicious, especially with fresh ingredient and sauce...

[Reply]
Margaret D 22/4/24 07:22

That does look lovely Angie.

[Reply]
JoAnna 22/4/24 18:09

Lots of dill - I love it! Today I was making steaks... from cauliflower. :)

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 22/4/24 18:41

Are these the same as sardines Angie? I have a can in the pantry. Hubs bought them as he read how healthy they are. His father used to eat them all the time. Your dish looks wonderful!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 22/4/24 19:31

@DeniseinVA The sprats ain't sardines, but they are all full of omega-3 fatty acids that are good for you.

[Reply]
Pam 22/4/24 19:45

I've never had sprats before. The salad looks flavorful.

[Reply]
Javier 22/4/24 20:02

This plate looks absolutely stunning! Fish and salad pair beautifully

[Reply]
LoveT. 22/4/24 20:23

Delicious idea with the almonds.

[Reply]
Anonymous 22/4/24 22:15

While we don't have Sprats in our part of the world, if my husband was served some I know he would enjoy them. 😊 Karen (Back Road Journal)

[Reply]
Anonymous 22/4/24 22:42

Delicious.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

[Reply]
savorthebest 22/4/24 23:21

That sounds really good, I love fresh tomatoes.

[Reply]
Lowcarb team member 22/4/24 23:37

Looks good.
We tend to use whitebait.

All the best Jan

[Reply]
sherry 23/4/24 01:44

these look very cute and very tasty Angie. I do love me a bit of fishy delights.

[Reply]
Momo (Mauricette ) 23/4/24 07:34

Miam-miam voilà une bonne salade
Bonne journée

[Reply]
David 24/4/24 05:46

Hi Angie, No heads or guts for us! We'd dust them before frying them. They look much like smelt, a similar sized fish that populates the Great Lakes between the USA and Canada. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Raymund | angsarap.net 26/4/24 01:36

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it does look really good, I am sure it will be a hit at any table

[Reply]
tigerfish 2/5/24 17:25

Yes, I could do that with sardines, like I always do with tomatoes, onions, and herbs.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top