Search Angie's Recipes


German Pork Knuckle


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Pork Knuckle (Eisbein or Schweinshaxe in German) is a traditional Bavarian dish that's popular not only during the Oktoberfest but all year round. It's usually served with dumplings / Knödeln, Sauerkraut, and of course a beer gravy. I served it with roasted pumpkin since it's in season, and a salad, but you can use other root vegetables. Instead of gravy, we just enjoyed it with a cold top-fermented Weißbier.
If you ever wanted to re-create this typical Oktoberfest dish at home try this recipe, look for the meaty rear pig knuckles that are fresh, not cured and allow it to sit in the fridge for two days to let the skin dry out. Don't rush the process. Use two metal skewers to keep the skin stretched and the prevent from shrinking while it roasts. Without the skewers, the skin contracts as it slow roasts, creating folds in the skin that don’t become crispy.

 
  • 1.2-1.4 kg Rear pork knuckle
    ©angiesrecipes
  • 1 clove Garlic, sliced
  • 1 tsp Caraway seeds
  • 1 tsp Sea salt
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 800 g - 1 kg Pumpkin, cut into wedges
  • 10 g Fresh sage leaves
  • Fresh parsley, chopped
  • Cherry tomatoes, optional
  • Salad of your choice
  1. Wash and dry the pork knuckle completely. Peel and slice the garlic, sprinkle with cumin and 1/2 tsp sea salt and chop everything finely or use a mortar and pestle to pound everything into powder.
  2. Rub the pork flesh, including the meat under the rind with the remaining salt. Rub the skin with a tablespoon of olive oil. Rub the cumin mixture all over the pork.
  3. Stretch the skin by pulling it down, then thread through 2 metal skewers in a "X" formation near the base of the knuckle. Pierce through skin 2cm from the base of the pork knuckle to hold the stretched skin in place. Place pork standing on a plate, then leave in the fridge, uncovered, for 48 hours. This is to dry the skin for better crackling.
  4. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F. Cut the pumpkin into wedges and place them in a large baking pan or tray. Brush them with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Top with the sage leaves.
  5. Place a rack over the pan. Place pork knuckle on the rack and roast for 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours until the thickest part of meat reaches 85C/185F. Remove the roasting pan from oven, transfer the knuckle with the rack to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Keep the roasted pumpkin wedges warm.
  6. Increase oven tempeture to 250C/480F. Return the pork knuckles on the rack to the oven furthest away from the heat. Switch to Grill Setting and roaste for 10-12 minutes until deep golden brown and crispy. Add some cherry tomatoes to the pumpkin wedges if desired, and sprinkle some chopped parsley over. Enjoy with pork knuckle.

© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2023 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


31 comments:

Lola Martínez 28/9/23 13:04

El codillo de cerdo le gusta mucho a mi marido, yo lo preparo poco porque no encuentro mucha variedad de recetas que me gusten, hasta hoy que he visto la tuya y lo bien que lo has cocinado y acompañado. Gracias, me quedo con tu receta.

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 28/9/23 13:55

There is a local restaurant that serves this. I had it once and I think my arteries are still complaining.

[Reply]
Tom 28/9/23 14:01

...looks like a fabulous autumn meal.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 28/9/23 14:27

Looks like a yummy roast. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 28/9/23 14:45

I've also never seen pig knuckles for sale. It does sound very German, and it looks amazing. And delicious too.

[Reply]
Frank | Memorie di Angelina 28/9/23 17:28

Fabulous! I lived in Austria for a few years, once upon a time. Used to love this dish but haven't had it in ages...

[Reply]
Granny Sue 28/9/23 17:53

I don't think I have ever seen pork knuckles for sale here. My neighbor always made pickled pigs feet at butchering time, but I never liked them myself.

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 28/9/23 18:00

I am not sure I can find pork knuckles here, but I am definately going to try this with some boney pork cut..

[Reply]
Pam 28/9/23 18:10

Wow! I've never made pork knuckle before. What a hearty & delicious meal.

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 28/9/23 18:56

Both my dad and Bill's dad were raised in households where German was spoken--- and, of course, they both loved German food!! I wish I could serve this delicious dish to them!!!

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 28/9/23 19:20

A slice of this delicious meat would make my day...

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 28/9/23 20:30

The first picture shows perfection as its finest!!....What a great meal!!....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Bill 28/9/23 20:32

I never seen pork knuckles here.

[Reply]
roentare 29/9/23 00:04

I would pay for this knuckle!

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 29/9/23 00:49

I'll bet that's filled with tons of yummy flavors!

[Reply]
Citu 29/9/23 03:54

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Margaret D 29/9/23 08:25

Oh my how I would love that crackling. Yummy, and more yummy.

[Reply]
Rose world 29/9/23 14:36

Oh my, I would love to have some of your crackling. Reminded me so much of the German pork knuckle I had when I was in Germany. So good with beer!!

[Reply]
Chef Mimi 29/9/23 16:35

We were in Munich at a well known Biergarten and this is what I ordered! It was wonderful. So is yours!

[Reply]
Diane 30/9/23 01:36

One of my favourite dishes, yum yum. Hope all is well, Diane

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 30/9/23 07:56

I have never seen this before, but I don’t have any German restaurants that are nearby. It looks delicious!

[Reply]
Grace 1/10/23 06:44

Angie's, que tal has estado?
Esta receta no es para mi, puesto que varios de sus ingredientes están restringidos para mi. Pero bueno compartirlo. Afectuoso saludo
Feliz domingo!!

[Reply]
David 3/10/23 21:04

Hi Angie, Pork knuckles...something I've never seen in a shop here. It looks like what we call a pork shank and it looks and sounds delicious! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Cocoa and Lavender 6/10/23 00:52

Angie - I have never seen a pig's knuckle anywhere here in the States. I will ask my pork farmer at the market if he can get me one. This sounds just perfect - the simple, flavorful German food that I came to love when I lived in Heidelberg.

[Reply]
Anonymous 9/10/23 20:47

Your pork knuckle looks fantastic and I love the tip about how to keep the skin crispy. Karen (Back Road Journal)

[Reply]
tigerfish 11/10/23 17:41

We love such a traditional pork knuckle roast. Every part of it is delicious, including the crackling skin

[Reply]
Raymund 11/10/23 22:36

My favourite German dish ever

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top