Search Angie's Recipes


Featured Recipe: 35 Recipes to make the most of Asparagus Season



Buffalo Smashed Cucumbers with Roquefort


© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


‘Smashing / smacking’ cucumber is a Chinese cooking technique allowing them to absorb more sauce, hence more flavour. The combination of buffalo sauce with cucumbers might seem really weird, but it works like a charm. You get a punch of heat from the spicy, garlicky buffalo sauce immediately followed by a juicy burst of crunchy, cool cucumber that keeps you coming back for more and more.

 
Buffalo Hot Sauce
  • 4 Persian cucumbers
  • 50 g Roquefort, crumbled
  • 1-2 tbsp Chives, chopped
  • 50 g Unsalted butter
  • 1 clove Garlic, chopped
  • 75 ml Hot sauce (I used Mexican Cholula)
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
  1. Put the cucumbers on a chopping board, hit with a rolling pin or the flat of a cleaver several times so that they break apart, and then cut into bite-sized pieces.
  2. Put into a colander and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Leave for 30 minutes.
  3. To make the sauce, heat the butter in a pan over a medium heat. When it begins to foam, add the garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk well to combine. Cool.
  4. Rinse the cucumbers well under cold running water, drain and pat dry.
  5. To serve, pile the cucumbers on a plate and top with the buffalo sauce and crumbled Roquefort. Sprinkle some chopped chives over.

© 2024 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





30 comments:

Tom 24/5/24 13:32

...wow, his is an interesting dish!

[Reply]
eileeninmd 24/5/24 13:47

Looks colorful and tasty! I would like the hot sauce.
Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

[Reply]
Carol @Comfort Spring Station 24/5/24 14:22

I would never think of a hot sauce with a cucumber salad - fascinating.

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 24/5/24 15:30

Smashed cucumber, how interesting!
Jenna

[Reply]
Kathy G 24/5/24 15:31

This is unique, but sounds wonderful. I love anything with Buffalo sauce on it.

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 24/5/24 15:32

I eat cucumbers every day during the summer. I am definitely going to be trying this! Thanks for sharing.

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 24/5/24 15:34

Es la primera vez que escucho esta técnica del golpeado. Tampoco conocía la salsa. Que receta más original y maravillosa.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 24/5/24 16:38

I did not know those were called Persian cucumbers, thanks for the info, those are my fave ones. I usually call them just salad cucumbers LOL

[Reply]
Anonymous 24/5/24 19:32

Yum.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 24/5/24 23:49

Another tasty and colorful salad!

[Reply]
Brian's Home Blog 25/5/24 00:09

I'm never sure about that Roquefort stuff but it does lok good.

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 25/5/24 00:12

This sounds wonderful Angie. I like Persian Cucumbers, they are so nice and mild.

[Reply]
Citu 25/5/24 02:57

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Veronica Lee 25/5/24 04:24

Pairing hot sauce with a cucumber salad sounds interesting!

Happy Saturday, Angie!

[Reply]
Steph@CrazyLittleLovebirds 25/5/24 06:33

This sounds amazing! I'm going to give this a try. :)

[Reply]
JoAnna 25/5/24 10:55

Very interesting recipe! I didn't know the name: Persian cucumbers... Or did I misunderstand? Hugs!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 25/5/24 12:18

@JoAnna You read it correctly, Joanna. Persian cucumbers are so much milder and juicier. You definitely should try if like cucumbers.

[Reply]
David M. Gascoigne, 25/5/24 13:23

I will have to go out and find buffaloes to smash the cucumbers!

[Reply]
Anonymous 25/5/24 18:17

I haven't ever thought to put hot sauce on cucumbers but I have put chili flakes on so I know that I would enjoy this salad. Karen (Back Road Journal)

[Reply]
LoveT. 25/5/24 18:23


A refreshingly light dish

[Reply]
Balvinder 25/5/24 18:36

Ooh, the sauce sounds so tempting with the summery cucumber salad.

[Reply]
Grace 26/5/24 01:21

Debe ser un manjar Angie!
Un abrazo con mis mejores deseos para ti.:-)

[Reply]
Grace 26/5/24 01:21

Debe ser un manjar Angie!
Un abrazo con mis mejores deseos para ti.:-)

[Reply]
Frank | Memorie di Angelina 26/5/24 16:29

I do like to smash my cucumbers. Gets my aggressions out. ;-) For some reason, it never occurred to me to apply the technique to Western style dressings. But why not?

[Reply]
Judee 27/5/24 13:01

Such an appealing attractive salad and I did not know about the Chinese technique to smash cucumbers to allow them to absorb sauce better. Love it.

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 27/5/24 19:27

You have the best ideas Angie. Smashed cucumbers. I love that!

[Reply]
tigerfish 31/5/24 02:34

Quite into hot sauce recently too as I use it on tacos. Never thought of making a sauce out from hot sauce :p

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top