Chicken dopiaza is an easy, mildly spiced, thick curry originated in India. It is famous for its "double onion" method. The word Dopiaza literally means two onions. One batch of chopped onions are stir-fried in ghee for the masala sauce, and after the chicken and spices are added to the pan, it is the second batch of sliced onions’ turn. You can make this curry with any type of protein or even seafood.
|
|
- Heat a small pan on a medium flame and gently roast the coriander, cumin seeds and Kashmiri chillies until aromatic. Remove from heat and grind into a coarse powder in your spice grinder. Set aside for later.
- Peel and finely chop 2 large onions for the masala sauce and slice 2 small ones for the add in towards the end. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan on medium heat and add in chopped onions. Stir fry until golden and caramelised, 10-12 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the ground spices, garam masala, turmeric, garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Stir fry until the oil begins to separate from the mixture. Add salt to taste.
- Stir in the chicken stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 12–15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and coated thickly with the sauce.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice or chapatis.




27 comments:
...I would like the onions in this, but my Sweetie might not!
Cannot stand neither turmeric nor cilantro LOL
This was the first Indian dish a friend of mine taught me years ago. So delicious.
So many wonderful spices used, this chicken dish must be so flavorful and tasty.
I do love one pan meals. It just makes things easier. Lovely dish.
The presentations are beautiful, Angie!
I had never heard of this recipe before I saw it on your blog. It looks really delicious!
Such wonderful flavors, yum!
Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.
Love the spices used in this dish.
Angie's wonderful... I don't know why, but I miss having a translator on your site or maybe I just can't find it :)) Wishing you a wonderful Friday!
A, great dish with a name that is fun to say.
This sounds just wonderful. I will possibly try it in the fall
A good dish, Angie.
We make this dish, Angie. Our recipe is not identical, but very similar. Maybe we’ll do it this weekend. It has been a while. Best wishes - David
Sounds tasty, thank for sharing the recipe! Enjoy your day and happy weekend.
Delicious!!!! I think Indian cuisine is my favorite.
This sounds heavenly! I’m currently having some work done in the house, so I haven’t been spending a lot of time in the kitchen because I don’t want to be in the way, or visible, but I’m definitely going to try this in the fall.
A nice tasty meal.
Yummy
Looks good :-D
I bet it got kick to it.
Lovely combination of flavours.
All the best Jan
This sounds as good as the Bengali fried chicken. We look forward to making this when we get back from vacation.
This looks so flavorful, and it was interesting to find out about the double onion method.
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/
I've never heard of chicken dopiaza before, Angie, but it looks delicious! The rich onion sauce sounds especially good.
This feels liek one of those “simple but big flavour” curries that always hits the spot.
As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!