© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
Juicy, tender chicken thighs are braised in tangy, gut-healthy sauerkraut (homemade if possbile), smoky bacon, sour apple and sweet, mellow onion, piney, earthy juniper berries for a hearty, classic one-pot meal. If you cannot find juniper berries, use a tablespoon or two of gin or fresh rosemary, esp. if you are looking for herbal, piney flavour.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Sauerkraut and Apple
adapted from
Food&Wine
| | |
- 100 g Bacon, cut into batons
- 6-8 Medium chicken thighs
- Sea salt
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 1 Large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Organic tart apple, cored and chopped
- 500 g Drained and rinsed sauerkraut
- 200 ml Chicken stock
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 10 Juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Chopped parsley
|
- In a large deep frying pan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Season the chicken thighs with the salt and the pepper and add to the pan in batches if necessary. Cook, turning, until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Add the onion and apple to the pan. Cook over moderate heat, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the sauerkraut, bacon, broth, the mustard, juniper berries, and bay leaf. Arrange the chicken in an even layer on top. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and cook, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 25 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
© 2026 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com
6 comments:
My favourite part of chicken is the thigh. Your braised thigh is delicious and beautiful.
...a wonderful taste of fall.
This looks delicious, and I happen to have sauerkraut in my refrigerator, believe it or not. I don’t have the juniper berries, but I’m hoping I can make this without them. Yes, I know the flavor won’t be exactly the same, but undoubtedly it will still be good. Have a great weekend!
This looks like a great fall dish. I'd go a little lighter on the Sauer kraut than the recipe calls for, but I bet the sweet of the apples offsets the tang of the kraut. Happy start to your weekend!
Delicious!
A typicsche Deutch meal I would say.
As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!