Search Angie's Recipes


Muhammara Roasted Red Pepper Walnut Dip


© 2020 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





http://schneiderchen.de | © 2020 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





http://schneiderchen.de | © 2020 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


A traditional Middle Eastern red pepper and walnut dip, this Muhammara recipe is easy and quick to make. Originating from Syria, muhammara tastes deliciously spicy, nutty, tangy and pairs perfectly well with fresh flatbread or any of your favourite bread. If you’re short on time, you can use jarred roasted red peppers instead. Muhammara can be made in advance as it keeps well in the fridge for a few days and the flavour develops even better after storing a day in the fridge, but be sure to bring the dip to room temperature before serving.

MuhammaraFlour Tortillas
  • 3 Red bell peppers, halved and seeded
  • 25 g Fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp dried Aleppo chilli flakes (or 1 Long fresh red chilli, halved, seeded, and chopped)
  • 1 Large garlic clove, crushed
  • 1-2 tsp Ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp Pomegranate molasses
  • 1/2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
  • 50 g Walnuts, toasted and chopped plus more for garnish
  • 1/2 tsp Sea salt
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 250 g Plain flour
  • 130 g Whole spelt flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 80 ml Olive oil
  • 240 ml Hot water
  1. Whisk together the flours, salt and baking powder into the bowl of your stand mixer. Add in the olive oil and hot water . Mix on a low speed until a firm smooth ball forms, about 5 minutes.
  2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 8-10 equal portions.
  3. Flatten each dough ball with the palm of your hand as much as you can, then cover with a clean kitchen towel. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
  4. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out each ball into an 18-20cm round.
  5. Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook each dough round for 30 to 45 seconds or until beginning to puff up and brown patches appear on underside. Turn. Cook for a further 30 seconds or until beginning to puff up and brown patches appear on underside.
  6. Wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve.
  1. Heat the oven to 200C/400F. Put the pepper halves on a tray and roast for about 35 minutes until they are cooked and the skin is blackened. Put the peppers in a bowl, cover with cling-film and, once cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skin.
  2. Pulse the breadcrumbs, red pepper, red chilli, garlic, cumin, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, walnuts and sea salt in a food processor until almost smooth.
  3. With the processor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until the oil is completely incorporated. Taste and add more salt if needed.
  4. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with some chopped walnuts. Serve at room temperature with your favourite bread.

http://schneiderchen.de | © 2020 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





http://schneiderchen.de | © 2020 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


37 comments:

Paula Montenegro 29/11/20 11:09

What a wonderful dip for the holiday season! It reminds me of romesco sauce which I absolutely love. Great recipe Angie!

[Reply]
Królowa Karo 29/11/20 11:49

It must taste delicious because the recipe looks great.

[Reply]
Natalia 29/11/20 12:36

I love roasted peppers, so that one is definitely something for me, looks so yum!

[Reply]
Tom 29/11/20 13:13

...a colorful treat that is new to me. Keep on cooking.

[Reply]
Kitchen Riffs 29/11/20 17:00

I love red pepper dips! And there are so many in the world. This looks good -- like the inclusion of pom molasses. Nice recipe -- thanks.

[Reply]
Anonymous 29/11/20 19:08

I love muhammara dip, but have never made it from scratch. Looks absolutely delicious, Angie! And such a vibrant color...

[Reply]
Martyna 29/11/20 22:10

Rhis looks very delicious!:)

[Reply]
lisa is cooking 30/11/20 01:04

What a great snack! I'd love to have this on hand while watching movies on the couch.

[Reply]
speedy70 30/11/20 08:38

Sono ghiotta di peperoni, ottima salsa!!!!

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 30/11/20 09:25

Looks beautiful and delicious. Wish I could taste it.

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 30/11/20 16:59

I love it!!!....in fact, I made it for today's dinner....our recipe is very similar....it looks delicious!.........Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Mae Travels 30/11/20 18:35

Definitely a classic! I haven't made it in a while, should do it for one of the holidays.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

[Reply]
MunatyCooking 30/11/20 20:05

My mom's friend is from Palestine and she used to make this and bring us some. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks tasty!

[Reply]
Amy (Savory Moments) 30/11/20 22:31

This dip looks so colorful and really tasty! Perfect for holiday snacking.

[Reply]
Heidi | The Frugal Girls 30/11/20 22:34

You've created such an outstanding red pepper dip that is so easy to make. This sure beats the store bought versions and I love that it tastes even better the 2nd and 3rd days!

[Reply]
Balvinder 1/12/20 04:23

Yum! I love everything about this recipe, Middle Eastern flavors are simply amazing. I would love to eat the dip with those flour tortillas.

[Reply]
Aarthi | Prepbowls 1/12/20 08:48

That color of the dip is so appealing, just love the flavors and spices on the dip, I'm sure it would have tasted delicious with those tortillas, would love to try your recipe, thanks for sharing, Angie!

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 1/12/20 11:14

I love red bell peppers and this dip is gorgeous and packed with flavor! I'd love to serve it to my book club---hopefully, in 2021! xo

[Reply]
gluten Free A_Z Blog 1/12/20 12:15

I used to love this dip when a friend made it, but now being gluten-free I had to stop eating it. I should try to make it myself using gluten-free breadcrumbs. I'll keep your recipe, thanks.

[Reply]
Yahya Aydoğmuş 1/12/20 12:37

i am following your blog please click advertisement on my blog.

[Reply]
Ron 1/12/20 13:42

Angie, your muhammara sauce looks divine. As we have a sizable Syrian population in the area we get this as a side at our local falafel/pizza stand. But, it's usually too hot for my taste. As I've never made it, I look forward to making your recipe where I can adjust the heat. Great tortilla recipe as well.

[Reply]
Eva Taylor 1/12/20 13:59

I’m always looking to change up my dip repertoire, thank you for this new one. Love that roasted peppers are used in it, i always have a bunch in my freezer.
Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/

[Reply]
savorthebest 1/12/20 15:30

This looks delicious, it would make a great sandwich spread!

[Reply]
The Exclusive Beauty Diary 1/12/20 15:34

This look so delicious. I would like to try make it. Thank you for sharing recipe.

New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2020/12/babor-hsr-lifting-cream-filorga-hydra.html

[Reply]
Jeff the Chef 1/12/20 16:44

I've made this dip many times. It's so delicious, and so versatile. I love to serve it with spicy blue corn chips. My version isn't exactly like yours, so I'd be curious to give yours a try.

[Reply]
Pam 1/12/20 20:23

Looks tasty and very flavorful.

[Reply]
SavoringTime in the Kitchen 1/12/20 22:32

I need to try this wonderful recipe! I like Jeff's idea of serving it with blue corn chips :)

[Reply]
Raymund 1/12/20 23:50

That would really be tasty specially knowing that you roasted those peppers. Yum!

[Reply]
Suja Manoj 2/12/20 15:35

Wonderful recipe, flavorful and delicious dip.

[Reply]
Valentina 3/12/20 05:29

I can imagine loving this on so many different things. I will make it to have have at the ready! Would be so delicious on warm pita. :-) ~Valentina

[Reply]
Iwona 3/12/20 06:02

This dip looks so delicious :) Thank you for recipe :)

[Reply]
tigerfish 3/12/20 23:34

Great dip that I just feel like spooning into my mouth :p

[Reply]
Evi @ greenevi 7/12/20 12:06

I loooooooove muhammara, I can eat a crazy amount of it :D

[Reply]
Sherry's Pickings 9/12/20 01:43

i have to agree with everyone - looks so delish! yum i love roasted capsicums!

[Reply]
Marcelle 9/12/20 18:21

Yum Angie, this will be a new snack for us to try and I already know we will love it! It's got such a pretty color too!! I'm pinning this, will be great for NYE!

[Reply]
Karen (Back Road Journal) 13/12/20 15:03

As soon as I've bought walnuts, I'm making this delicious dip.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top