"Zürcher Geschnetzeltes" or "sliced meat Zurich style" is a popular Swiss dish from Zurich region. Its main ingredients are schnitzel, mushrooms and cream. While it is possible to use any type of meat to make this dish, the real "Zürcher Geschnetzeltes" is made with cut veal. It was originally prepared using meat only, a popular variation today is adding about a fourth of sliced veal kidney to the meat. It usually comes with Rösti, similar to hash browns, but it could also be served with rice, or pasta.
Recipe adapted from Geschnetzeltes Zürcher Art
- 2 Shallots, small
- 400 g Chicken fillet, cut into strips
- 1/4 tsp White pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Sweet paprika powder
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 50 ml White wine
- 200 ml Cream
- 50 ml Chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Finely grated lemon zest
- Finly dice the shallots. Cut the chicken filet into strips. Season the chicken strips with pepper and paparka powder.
- Heat two tablespoons oil in a skillet until hot. Add in marinated sliced chicken and stir over a mediuim-high heat till lightly browned and cooked through, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil in the skillet. Stir the finely chopped shallots till softened and lightly browned. Pour in the white wine and bring it to a boil over a high heat before adding cream and chicken stock. Cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes then return the chicken strips and any accumulated juices to the pan.
- Heat through, tossing often, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chopped parsley and lemon zest. Serve with harsh browns.