Search Angie's Recipes


Jujube Spelt Streusel Bars


http://schneiderchen.de | © 2018 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





http://schneiderchen.de | © 2018 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Jujube, or Chinese date, is a hoarder of nutrients. Like dates, jujube fruit is loaded with energy, essential vitamins and minerals (magnesium, potassium, copper, niacin, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, and iron), which provide its many health benefits. These erythritol sweetened cookie bars with a Quark cheese & butter crust and a streusel topping are packed full of fibre and wonderful as a breakfast cookie or a healthy after school treat.

Jujube SpreadStreuselCrust
  • 300 g Jujube dates, red or black
  • 70 g Erythritol
  • 50 g Butter
  • 100 g White spelt flour
  • 50 g Erythritol
  • Pinch of salt
  • 80 g Unsalted butter, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 100 g White spelt flour
  • 70 g Whole spelt flour
  • 50 g + 20 g Hazelnut meal
  • 50 g Erythritol
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 150 g 20% Quark
  • 1 Large egg
  • 50 g Butter, chopped and softened
  1. Cover jujube dates with water and let soak for 1 hour. Using a paring knife, slice down lengthwise into the date. Pull open the date and remove the pit. Place them in a medium pot and fill with enough water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes. Use an immersion blender and blend the jujubes until smooth.
  2. Cook the mixture over low-medium heat until it has thickened, about 1 hour. Stir in butter and mix well. Set aside to cool.
  3. Place spelt, erythritol and salt for the streusel together in a mixing bowl. Add in chopped butter and vanilla extract. Rub everything together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Place all the ingredients for the crust, except 20 grams of hazelnut meal, in a mixing bowl. Beat with a handheld mixer until a smooth dough forms. Press the dough evenly into a 22x26x4cm baking pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the reserved hazelnut meal over. Spread the jujube spread over. Top with prepared streusel.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Bake the bar in the middle of hot oven for 35-40 minutes until nicely golden. Remove and cool completely before slicing into bars.

http://schneiderchen.de | © 2018 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



http://schneiderchen.de | © 2018 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


http://schneiderchen.de | © 2018 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


47 comments:

mjskit 22/10/18 23:06

Everything about these little bars looks wonderful. I love your date spread and can think of many other uses. In fact, I love everything about these. :)

[Reply]
Gloria Baker 23/10/18 01:01

what amazing and delicious streusel bars! I love streusel Angie!

[Reply]
tigerfish 23/10/18 04:49

So clever to use Chinese dates in these spelt bars (these dates are especially good for us, ladies :P )

[Reply]
Abbe@This is How I Cook 23/10/18 05:36

We saw jujubes all over china and didn't know what they were. Now I know and I thank you for that! Better go back and try them!

[Reply]
Motions and Emotions 23/10/18 06:38

Thank you for sharing the goodness of jujube... and those bars are worth making...lovely

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 23/10/18 10:05

Healthy delicious bars packed with nutrients. How nice if I live next door to you. Lol!

[Reply]
All That I'm Eating 23/10/18 11:11

These sound fantastic and I love how you've used the dates in them. Perfect for some autumn nibbles!

[Reply]
Kelly | Foodtasia 23/10/18 16:44

So delicious and so healthy! A perfect breakfast or snack! So glad to be introduced to jujubes. I eat a handful of dates every day. In the US, jujubes are a gummy type candy. I was curious how to see how you would incorporate them into a streusel bar! :) Dates are nature's candy after all!

[Reply]
2pots2cook 23/10/18 17:50

So new to me .... thank you for educational post.Love everything about it !

[Reply]
Kitchen Riffs 23/10/18 18:46

What a fun --and tasty! -- recipe. Very creative -- thanks.

[Reply]
Juliana 23/10/18 18:56

These bars look delicious Angie, and I like the idea that you used the jujube...indeed healthy and loaded with nutrients. Thanks for sharing the recipe, and have a wonderful week!

[Reply]
Evelyne CulturEatz 23/10/18 21:02

Oh are jujube in season, they are so good. Did nto knwo they were so nutircious. Love the bars very much.

[Reply]
Arpita 23/10/18 22:51

Loving these streusel bars.. Not only they look amazing but are nutritious too.. So good..

[Reply]
Jeff the Chef 24/10/18 05:51

I thought a jujube was some kind of candy. I had no idea it was a Chinese date. You make the most interesting and delicious things!

[Reply]
GiGi Eats 24/10/18 06:18

The perfect layering and perfect display. How long did THOSE last in your house?!

[Reply]
Juliana Fendez 24/10/18 14:07

Looks very yummy ;) Thanks for sharing delioucs recipes love it

[Reply]
Pam 24/10/18 17:28

YUM! These bars look and sound so delicious.

[Reply]
SavoringTime in the Kitchen 25/10/18 00:05

I love dates but have never seen a jujube date before! I wonderful if they are grown anywhere in the U.S.? California grows lots of dates. I know I would love these delightful bars, Angie!

[Reply]
pankti 25/10/18 07:48

So healthy yet so delicious!! Sounds like something that I need!!

[Reply]
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary 25/10/18 17:58

I'm a huge fan of dates, but I've never heard of jujube before! I've got to look for that! These bars look absolutely wonderful, Angie! Nutritious and delicious?! Sign me up!

[Reply]
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com 25/10/18 18:39

Wow, Angie, these look great! I've never heard of jujube dates. Will definitely look into it.

[Reply]
grace 25/10/18 20:24

i've heard of jujube dates but i've never seen them in the store or tasted them. they sure do make for a lovely bar!

[Reply]
gluten Free A_Z Blog 26/10/18 13:05

Angie,
Your photos ( as usual) are exceptional. Everything looks so delicious and I love the idea that the jujube dates provide so much nutrition.

[Reply]
Natalia 26/10/18 16:35

I love bars,even though I haven't baked them for a while, amazing recipe!☺

[Reply]
Karen (Back Road Journal) 26/10/18 17:09

I'm passing this recipe on to a friend. She and her husband try to eat several healthy snacks a day and I think she would really enjoy your bars.

[Reply]
Ashley@CookNourishBliss 26/10/18 18:39

I love a good crumble bar! I've never used jujube dates before - now I'm curious to try them!

[Reply]
Izaa 27/10/18 08:38

I am always eager for a cake

[Reply]
lisa is cooking 27/10/18 19:16

I've never used jujubes, but I'd love to try them! The bars look great, and I can never pass up a streusel topping.

[Reply]
Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake 27/10/18 22:32

Such marvelous bars! I bet they taste as delicious as they look! I'm hoping to run across jujubes one day---I'll make sure to grab some!

[Reply]
Marcelle 27/10/18 23:08

Oh my goodness, these bars are gorgeous, Angie! :)

[Reply]
Emma @ Bake Then Eat 28/10/18 01:41

I have never heard of Jujube dates before, but I shall definetly keep an eye out for them now. Lovely looking slices.

[Reply]
Anca 29/10/18 07:30

I never heard of jujube dates before. I love that you are talking about ingredients new to me. The bars do look amazing. xx

[Reply]
Chitz 30/10/18 11:51

Wow.. that sounds like a yummy tasty energy bar packed with nutrients.. love their texture :)

[Reply]
Adina 30/10/18 14:13

I've never heard of jujube dates, good to learn something new. The bars looks so good, my husband would love them, he loves anything with dates.

[Reply]
Pam 30/10/18 14:22

Great bars, Angie! Bet they are very tasty delicious! I will check out Jujube dates, they're new to me. Thanks for sharing!

[Reply]
GiGi Eats 31/10/18 00:17

Life is so dang weird. I just saw these babies are the grocery store for the first time in my life like two days ago and now, NOW you are using them in a recipe! LOL! What is this madness?!

[Reply]
I dolci di Grazia 31/10/18 17:21

Wow, Angie! Queste barrette sono fantastiche sia come aspetto che dal punto di vista nutrizionale. Bravissima!

[Reply]
Choclette 31/10/18 18:09

I don't think I know Jujube. You've introduced me to several new ingredients and this looks like another one. The bars sound delicious.

[Reply]
Reeni 2/11/18 00:29

What beautiful bars Angie! I am a sucker for streusel topping! I never heard of these dates either - here we have jujubes that are like gummy candies. :)

[Reply]
noobcook 2/11/18 09:43

clever use of Chinese red dates in a western treat. I love the natural sweetness from the jujube instead of adding sugar.

[Reply]
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness 5/11/18 14:11

Wonderful looking bars. I love dates and stresel.

[Reply]
Rafeeda AR 6/11/18 09:07

I wish I could tell you to parcel a few bars for tasting! They sound simply delicious and tempting...

[Reply]
pankti 12/11/18 17:54

Wow!! Looks so flavourful and yummy!

[Reply]
Rosita Vargas 30/12/18 12:11

Estas barritas son un lujo y además deliciosas,abrazos y buen año 2019.

[Reply]
mary anderson 15/4/19 21:15

this looks like cereal bars which have so much greatness and calories together so healthy recipe thanks angie.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top