These chocolate hazelnut cookies are grain free, gluten free and refined sugar free. Easy to make and a great one to put all the excess holiday baking ingredients to good use.
Grain-free, Sugar-free Hazelnut Cookiesadapted from here
- Place the chopped dark chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until chocolate is just melted, turn the heat off and stir in chocolate flavoured liquid stevia.
- Combine the white stevia powder, spices, and finely ground hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff. Gradually add in hazelnut mixture and fold to combine. Now add in melted chocolate and rum. Form into a ball and wrap in a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 1-cm. Cut out the cookies with your favourite cookie cutters. Place the cookies on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Leave them on the kitchen counter to dry overnight.
- Next day preheat the oven, with the fan on, to 180C/350F. Bake the cookies for about 7 minutes. Remove the cookies from the sheets and cool them on a wire rack.
- Melt the chopped milk couverture in a double-boiler. Dip the cooled cookies halfway into the melted chocolate and place it on waxed paper. Garnish with sprinkles if using.