Healthy and nutritious, a delicious rye spelt bread adapted from Brot backen-Köstliche Rezepte aus der guten alten Zeit©angiesrecipes, is strewn with a mix of flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and bursting with flavour.
- Mix light rye flour, spelt bread flour, and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center, and place the yeast, and honey in the well. Add in lukewarm water and a little flour from the sides of well. Stir the mixture until it resembles thick porridge. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the sourdough and buttermilk. Stir until the dough comes together and pulls away from sides of bowl. Turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface and form the dough into a ball. Dust the ball of dough with some spelt flour and proof, covered with a kitchen towel, for 20 minutes.
- Push the pumpkin, flax, sunflower seeds into the dough and knead and knead the dough until the seeds are incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two portions and shape each into a round. Place them on a baking tray dusted with flour and proof, covered with a kitchen towel, for another 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220C/430F. Cut some decorative slashes on the top of bread.
- Bake the bread in the center of the hot oven for 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F and bake the bread a further 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with water. Return the bread to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes until nicely golden brown and crusty.
I am sending this to the "Bake Your Own Bread-April" at Girlichef.