Beets are delicious cooked or raw, in salads or soups, as an appetizer or a meatless main course with some couscous. This beet root salad recipe is really easy and tasty, and takes little time to prepare. The dark-green colored leaves with red tones are an excellent source of carotenoids, flavonoid anti-oxidants and vitamin A.
Minty Grated Raw Beet Salad
- 500 g Beets
- 3 tbsp Freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler, and grate in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade. Finely chop the mint leaves.
- Combine the orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss with the beets and chopped mint leaves. Season to taste with salt.
- The raw beet salad can be served immediately or kept in the refrigerator, covered well, for a couple of days. It will soak up flavours and become more tender, yet stay crispy and crunchy. Toss again before serving.
Beet Greens Stir-fry with Shallot and Garlic
- 350 g Beet greens
- 2 tbsp Corn oil
- 1 Shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, sliced
- Sea salt
- White pepper
- Wash the greens in a sink filled with cold water. Drain greens and wash a second time. Drain greens and cut away any heavy stems. Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced shallot and sliced garlic, cook 3to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the beet greens to the skillet. Cook and stir until they are wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper.