Those spelt crackers with distinct aroma of 5-spice powder that adds a delicious spicy kick and crumble texture that melt easily in the mouth and keep you wanting more and more.
- 120 g Spelt flour #630
- 1/2 tsp Five spice powder
- 50 g Parmesan, grated
- 15 g Poppy seeds
- 100 g Duck fat (or butter)
- 1-2 tbsp Ice water
- Whisk together spelt flour, five spice powder, Parmesan and poppy seeds in a mixing bowl. Rub in duck fat until the mixture is crumbly. Add in ice water, a little at a time, until the mixture becomes a dough ball.
- Wrap the dough with plastic film and chill for 2 hours. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F. Remove the dough from the fridge. On a floured surface, roll it into a rectangle about 2mm thick.
- Cut out individual crackers about 5cm across with a sharp knife and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn the crackers over and bake another 5 to 10 minutes. Cool the crackers on a rack.