These easy cheesy olive muffins really make a chic and delish appetizer for your holiday dinner parties. They are mainly prepared with flour, milk, eggs, cheeses (Parmesan and fresh goat cheese), green and black olives, and fresh herbs. I have them served with some mixed salad greens, but you can enjoy them just without. A glass of Loire white, like Sancerre, or sauvignon blanc-based white is highly recommended. If you really don't like the common cat-pee smell from sauvignon blanc, then a refreshing riesling would be just as lovely and harmonious.
Recipe adapted from Kabeleins Olivenkuchen mit Ziegenfrischkäse und Salat
I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
- 100 g All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 100 ml Milk
- 80 ml Olive oil
- 2 Eggs
- 60 g Green olives
- 60 g Black olives
- 50 g Fresh grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Fresh curly parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 round Fresh goat cheese, 20 grams each
- Some mixed salad to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line 10 wells of a muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add in milk, olive oil and egg yolks and beat until smooth. Now add in olives, Parmesan, and chopped herbs. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg white into the batter until combined. Fill the prepared muffin pan 3/4 full with batter. Top each with one fresh goat cheese round and drizzle with a little of olive oil.
- Bake at the upper rack of the oven for about 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Serve the muffins on a bed of mixed salad.