A delightful combination of the caramelized onion and dill makes this sourdough boule extremely flavourful and delicious!
Recipe adapted from Brot backen-Köstliche Rezepte aus der guten alten Zeit
- 2 Onions
- 50 g Olive oil
- 200 g Whole spelt flour
- 300 g All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Wheat bran
- 6 g Active dried yeast
- 220 g Warm water
- 100 g Rye sourdough
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh dill
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Peel and dice the onions. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add in diced onions and cook until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together whole spelt flour, all purpose flour, wheat bran and yeast in a mixing bowl. Add in warm water, rye sourdough, the remaining olive oil, salt and fresh dill. Stir at the slow speed until dough comes away from bowl but is still sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film, and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Remove from the bowl, add in browned onions and knead again until incorporated. Return it to the bowl and let rise, covered, for 20 minutes. Fill an oven-proof bowl with boiling water and set it on bottom shelf of oven. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- To shape a boule, invert a bowl of risen dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat to flatten it out slightly. Bring the edges up and to the center, forming a round. With both hands cupped over the dough, rotate the dough while further moothing and tightening the ball and seal the folds on the underside.
- Cut criss-cross slashes across the upper surface with a sharp blade. Lightly brush the top with water and sprinkle the sesame seeds over. Bake in the center of hot oven for about 45 minutes. Remove and cool the bread on a wire rack.