Red cabbage, with an attractive dark purple colour and undeserved bad reputation, is Fat-Free, Cholesterol-Free, and rich in vitamin A, B, C, E. Talk about the perfect weight loss food!
My husband simply frowns on the idea of cooking him some red cabbages. He even dislike the word "Kohl or cabbage in English". He didn't touch a single bit of it. Well, take it or leave it. So red cabbage anyone?
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1250 g Red cabbages, quartered, cored and shredded
- 2 Apples, peeled and cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger root, finely shredded
- 2 Onion, sliced
- 1 tsp Allspice, ground
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 80 g Golden caster sugar
- 40 ml White wine vinegar
- 300 ml Apple cider©angiesrecipes
- Heat olive oil in a large pan, add cabbage, apples, ginger, onions, allspice and mustard seeds. Cook for 5 minutes until just starting to wilt.
- Scatter over the sugar and pour in the wine vinegar and cider. Cook, covered, over the low heat for 15 minutes, then remove the lid and turn up the heat to medium. Simmer the cabbage for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has evaporated.