Angel Cake Roll



A light, moist, and tender angel cake roll is a wonderful treat at any time! The blueberry jam filling, which was supposed to provide a contrast to the white cake, makes the cake a bit messy. It tastes great by itself and definitely worth trying!

  1. Whisk together flour, starch and vanilla powder and sift. Prepare a 11x13-inch or two 9x7-inch baking trays lined with parchment paper. Evenly sprinkle raisins over. Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
  2. Beat egg whites, salt and vinegar in the mixing bowl of a table mixer until foamy. Add in sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually sift the flour mixture into the whipped egg whites and fold until the batter is well-combined. Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 15 minutes or so.
  3. Immediately invert the cake to cool for about 5 minutes on a rack and peel off the baking paper. Place the cake on a parchment paper, with the baked side up and raisin side down, and spread cake with jam to within 1 inch of edges. From the narrow side roll the cake up tightly. Chill the cake roll for 1 hour and slice to serve.

10 comments:

Joie de vivre 7/4/09 17:04

First of all, this looks incredible! I've always wanted to try making a rolled sponge cake but have been sort of intimidated.

Second, thank you for your comments on my site. Why do we do that to ourselves? Finding a balance is so hard. I have heard of Pu'er tea but have yet to try it. I didn't know that it was good for digestion. Thanks for the information!

[Reply]
Sweta 7/4/09 17:13

Angie-this looks great!Brought back memories from school.We had baking classes for EC activity and I got the Swiss Rolls for my exam-it had rolled out beautifully when I had practiced at home,but on the D-day it broke and ended up looking more like sandwiches ;-)He,he he,it must have tasted good because I managed to get a "B"!!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 7/4/09 18:48

@Joie de vivre
Well, I guess that belongs to being a woman!

@Sweta
Oh, yes, tastes speaks louder than the shape.

[Reply]
Lavanya 7/4/09 20:19

ahhhhh..nice one angie..yester day only i thought of making this..my husabnd is fearing to become fat here without any physical work :)
so i didint make ....looks yummy!!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 8/4/09 06:35

@lavanya
Tell your hubby that he is more than welcome to help you with the kitchen work, for example, dish washing or drying, floor cleaning, etc. etc.

[Reply]
Kim (The Paper Aproness) 9/4/09 04:41

This looks like a masterpiece and yet you've made it seem simple enough that I may be able to give it a try. It looks like you have a great blog going. I'm glad I ran across you on Food Buzz.

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 9/4/09 06:34

@Kim
A big welcome!
The cake is truly not difficult to make once one gets the hang of making a meringue.
Thank you so much for stopping by.

[Reply]
Reeni♥ 9/4/09 15:46

Hi Angie, I don't know why you weren't on my bloglist anymore. I have been working on my page changing templates and design and for some reason some of my stuff was lost. I have you back on now. Reeni

[Reply]
Jessica604 9/4/09 18:32

Mmm....you're on a cake rolling-roll! ('scuse the pun. :) Both cake rolls look great - I always wondered how they got that "tiger skin" on the specialty ones!

I've tried making cake / swiss rolls before but they always turned out drier than I'd hoped. I guess I just have to try again.

Beautiful blog!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 9/4/09 19:06

@Jessica
Oh, ja, the one and only cake I could enjoy all the time without worrying much about the calories is Chiffon typed cakes. :p
A sheet of Swiss roll (40x30cm more or less) would need 18-22 minutes at 190C-200C/375F-400F to bake. If you use an oven with upper and lower temperature control, then decrease the lower burner slightly.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Friends

Google+ Followers

Join Us

angiesrecipes
Bookmark and Share

Link Me

Angie's Recipes - Taste of Home
skip to top

skip to top