This apricot cake, sweetened with maple syrup and applesauce, and nutritiously delicious with einkorn flour and almond meal, comes together fairly quickly and can easily be tweaked to include whatever seasonal fruits are available. Enjoy it warm or at room temperature with a dollop of thickened cream or simply dusted with icing sugar.
Apricot Einkorn Cake with Almond and Maple Syrupadapted from taste
- Lightly grease a baking pan (22cmx20cmx4cm) with butter and line the base and the sides of the pan with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Whisk together the ground einkorn, almond meal, baking powder, and cinnamon. In another saucepan, mix together almond milk, maple syrup and applesauce.
- Beat the butter until light and pale. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined. Add in half of the flour mixture and mix. Now mix in liquid mixture, then the rest of flour mixture until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apricot halves, cut side up, over the batter.
- Bake in the middle of hot oven for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.