These little cookies look simple, but are bursting with flavours and a hint of saffron gives the cookies a gorgeous gold colour and amazing aroma. You can also roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and cut out the cookies with your favourite cookie cutters.
- Roughly chop the marzipan. Dice the cold butter. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and add in powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, saffron powder, chopped marzipan, diced butter and egg whites.
- Mix everything together until you have a smooth dough. Wrap in a plastic film and chill for an hour. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Divide the dough into two portions. On a lightly floured work surface, shape each portion of dough into a 3-cm thick roll and cut it into 1-cm pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place them on the prepared baking trays. Lightly flatten the balls and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool briefly before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a bowl set over simmering water, stir chopped chocolate until the chocolate is almost melted, remove from bowl from heat and continue to stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Let cool to the room temperature.
- Dip the cookies into the melted chocolate and place them on parchment paper. Sprinkle immediately with chopped almonds.