These festive gingerbread biscuits are both tasty and decorative. This easy recipe, adapted from Lecker, is great for involving the little ones in your family by letting them ice these spice cookies and they make a lovely homemade Christmas present.
- Finely chop the candied ginger. In a large mixing bowl, add in spelt flour, raw brown sugar, diced butter, egg yolk, chopped candied ginger, molasses, spice mix and baking soda. Stir until well combined. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least overnight or two days.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line two baking sheets with baking paper. Divide the dough into 3 portions. Roll out pieces between baking paper to 4-5mm thick. Use your favourite biscuit cutters to cut cookies from the dough.
- Place on the lined trays. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place the egg white in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to lightly beat the egg whites until foamy. Sift icing sugar over the egg whites and stir until smooth. Add lemon juice and stir until well combined.
- Spoon 2/3 of icing into a snap-lock bag. Place the rest in a bowl. Add red colouring and stir until combined. Place it in another plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread to decorate. Finish with silver cachous and sprinkles. Dust with some icing sugar if desired.