Warm fragrant Lebkuchen spice mix, apples, hazelnuts and organic ancient grains make this the perfect fall quick bread. Applesauce was added to make the bread more flavourful and moist, while chopped hazelnuts make an appealing crunchy top. It's great for breakfast and ideal for tucking into a lunchbox.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 26-cm loaf pan, tapping out any excess flour. Skip this if using a silicone bread tin.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, pure stevia powder, baking powder, salt and spice mix. Whisk until well blended. Stir in the toasted hazelnuts and chopped apples.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla and applesauce, whisking until blended. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter. Using a silicone spatula, gently fold until blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared bread tin and spread evenly. Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts evenly over the batter, gently patting them in so they adhere.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until the top is nicely golden and a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely.