A fantastic autumn dessert, this delicious rustic galette is made with a delicate buttery freekeh crust filled with honey roasted almonds, sliced apples drizzled with fresh thyme and honey. Freekeh is roasted green spelt berries. The spelt is harvested when it is still young and green. It is then slow roasted over coals in the hulls, and is then de-hulled resulting in a beautiful green spelt berry. You can replace it with wholegrain spelt flour.
- Whisk together the ground freekeh flour and white spelt pastry flour. Heap the flour mixture on the work surface and make a well. Put the butter, egg, raw sugar and salt in the middle. With your fingertips, mix and cream the ingredients in the well.
- Now, little by little, draw the flour into the center and work the dough with your fingertips to a grainy texture. Add the cold water and mix it in until the dough begins to hold together.
- Using the palm of your hand, push the dough away from you 4 or 5 times until it is smooth. Roll the dough into a ball. Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes. The pastry can be refrigerated overnight.
- Peel, halve and core the apples and slice them crosswise 1/4 inch thick. Set aside the larger center slices and coarsely chop the end slices and any broken ones. About half of the slices should be chopped.
- Preheat oven to 190C7375. Unwrap and place dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll dough into a 15-inch circle. Place dough and parchment on a baking sheet.
- Spread the ground almonds over the pastry to within 1 inch of the edge, then add the chopped apples on the top. Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves, then the honey over the chopped apples. Decoratively arrange the apple slices on top in slightly overlapping rows. Sprinkle the raw brown sugar evenly over the apples and dot with the pieces of butter. Fold the pastry edge up and over the apples to create a 1-inch border.
- Bake the galette for about 55-60 minutes, until the pastry is nicely browned and crisp and all of the apples are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.