Chickpeas, also known as Garbanzo beans, are a legume and contain high levels of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that can make legumes hard to digest. Sprouting process will help neutralize or eliminate all of these problems, while enhancing the nutrient content.
Alive and full of nutrients, this simple sprouted chickpea salad with pesto yoghurt sauce is perfect balance of flavours and textures, and tastes SUPER. If you are not fond of the raw taste, steam sprouted chickpeas for 10 minutes or use canned one instead.
|Salad||Pesto Yoghurt Dressing|
- To sprout the chickpeas, rinse and soak the chickpeas for 24 hours. This starts the sprouting process by waking them up with rehydration.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas thoroughly. Place them in a colander over a bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Set aside at room temperature and out of direct sunlight.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas once every 8-12 hours for 3-5 days, depending on how long you like your sprouted chickpeas. If you prefer your chickpeas cooked, steam them for ten minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt, pesto, lemon juice and zest together in a small bowl. Taste and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently with the dressing until well combined.