Chewy, sticky and moist, this gluten free molasses cookie recipe, adapted from bojongourmet, is made with a combination of ground glutinous rice and ground oats. It is super easy to throw together and has a deep, warm flavour to compliment the holiday season.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, starch, psyllium, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together the butter, molasses, brown sugar, and 50 grams of the granulated sugar. Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture and beat with a handheld mixer until well combined. Cover the dough and chill until overnight until firm.
- When you're ready to bake, position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 180C/350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place the remaining granulated sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll each ball in the sugar. Place the balls at least 2" apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until they are puffed and cracked, and the dough between the cracks looks underbaked, 7-10 minutes, rotating the pan after 5 minutes to ensure even baking. Repeat with the second sheet.
- Let the cookies cool slightly on the sheet, then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely Store the cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.