These crackers are unique rolled spelt crackers with cheesy and nutty flavours. They go well with a yogurt dip and delicious with soups too. Rolled spelt can be replaced with old-fashioned rolled oats.
Rolled Spelt Flakes Cheddar Crackersadapted from Food and Wine
- Combine rolled spelt flakes and milk in a bowl. Let stand 5 minutes until rolled spelt flakes soften slightly.
- Whisk together refined spelt flour, baking powder and salt until blended. With your fingers, rub in cheese and cold butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Add the egg into the softened spelt flakes, then add into the cheese mixture. Mix until a dough forms. Scrape the dough onto a large sheet of plastic film and gently knead a few times until thoroughly blended. Pat into a round and wrap it up. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Work with half of dough at a time. On a lightly floured work surface, cover the dough with a plastic film. Roll out to 1/8-inch / 3 mm thick. Quickly cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares or stamp out different shapes. Place them on the prepared baking sheets. Chill until the rounds are firm, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Whisk the egg yolk and milk together. Lightly brush the crackers with the egg wash. Bake for about 15 minutes until the crackers are golden brown.