"Bubble and squeak" is a traditional English dish made with potatoes and some leftover vegetables from a previous meal, usually cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is so called from its bubbling up and squeaking while it cooks.
Recipe adapted from Delicious Magazine
- 350 g Cooked medium potatoes
- 350 g Cooked Brussels sprouts
- 120 g Chopped cooked ham
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Knob of butter
- 50 g Rocket salad
- 2 Avocados, sliced
- Olive oil and lemon juice, to serve
- Put the cooked potatoes on a chopping board and break them up. Add the other cooked vegetables and chop it all up. Put into a bowl and add the ham, eggs and seasoning, and mix well. Roughly form the mixture into 4 large rounds.
- Heat butter in a frying pan and pan-fry the cakes for about 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden and crispy.
- Divide rocket salad between 4 plates. Top each with a bubble and squeak and half an avocado. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze over some lemon juice to serve.