Search Angie's Recipes


Spiced Plum Ketchup


© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


A sweet, sour, and aromatic condiment made from foraged mriabelles and cherry plums. You can also use damsons or any other varieties. This is delicious served with cold meats, sausages, pork and cheese and will keep for up to 9 months outside of fridge in a cool, dry, dark place since it's water bath processed. You can skip the process, but the ketchup has to be stored in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.

 

Spiced Plum Ketchup

adapted from Waitrose and Delia Online
Spice SachetKetchup
  • 2-3 Dried chillies
  • 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
  • 5 cm piece Fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
  • 3-5 Allspice berries
  • 1-2 Star anise
  • 1 tsp Black peppercorns
  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
  • 1.2 kg Mirabelles or plums of your choice, pitted and cut into chunks
  • 150 g Red onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 225 ml Chive blossom infused vinegar (or ACV or white wine vinegar)
  • 100 g Coconut sugar (or golden caster sugar)
  • 12-15 g Sea salt
  1. Slit the plums with a sharp knife and remove the stones. Place all the spices in a tea filter bag or a piece of gauze. Seal it with a piece of kitchen twine.
  2. Place the prepared fruit into a large heavy-based saucepan and add the chopped onion and spice sachet. Place the saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar, and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 20 minutes until the mixture is soft.
  3. Now remove the bag of spices, and blend the mixture with a stick blender until perfectly smooth – if necessary sieve as well.
  4. Return the spice sachet to the puree and season with the salt. Bring it to a simmer and cook gently, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until thickened to the consistency of tomato ketchup. Stir now and then to prevent sticking.
  5. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 140C/280F. Wash a couple of bottles or jars and their lids in hot, soapy water and well rinse. Put the bottles or jars on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 15 minutes to sterilise. You want them to be warm when filling, so don’t do this too far ahead. If your jars or lids have rubber seals, remove these and simmer them in a pan of water for 10 minutes instead. Turn off the heat, cover and leave until ready to use.
  6. When the ketchup is ready pour it into the bottles while they're still hot, filling them to within an inch / 2.5 cm of the top.
  7. Place a heat-proof plate upside down in a large deep pan. Put the bottles or jars on the plate and add some hot water to within 1½ inches / 4 cm from the tops. Bring the water to the boil and after 10 minutes transfer the bottles onto a piece of kitchen towel and leave until cold before storing for up to 9 month in pantry.




© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


40 comments:

Brian's Home Blog 25/8/22 01:33

I never had plum ketchup but I'll bet it's good.

[Reply]
Tom 25/8/22 02:15

...this sure is different.

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 25/8/22 02:23

Gracias por la receta. Debe ser diferente. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Grace 25/8/22 07:56

Qué bueno Angie! Nunca me imaginé un ketchup hecho con ciruelas. Toda una novedad.
Me gusta la comida agridulce; por tanto con salchichas va muy sabroso.
Eres genial!
Muchas gracias!!

[Reply]
Margaret D 25/8/22 08:33

Looks good and something different.

[Reply]
speedy70 25/8/22 09:24

Questo lo faccio di sicuro, grazie!!!!

[Reply]
savorthebest 25/8/22 10:21

Sounds like a delicious ketchup.

[Reply]
kathyinozarks 25/8/22 11:31

Good morning, sounds delicious

[Reply]
Anonymous 25/8/22 12:35

Hi Angie, Bernadette here. Thanks for this very unique recipe. It would make a great hostess or holiday present.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 25/8/22 13:21

Plum ketchup?? Now, that is the weirdest thing ever! I do love it that you forage and steal plums from the local nature LOL I like to forage for mullberries!

[Reply]
Anne in the kitchen 25/8/22 15:15

I have made plum sauce before but never plum ketchup. This sounds really tasty.

[Reply]
Kitchen Riffs 25/8/22 16:15

This sounds really good. And it's always fun to put something a bit different on the table. :-) Thanks!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 25/8/22 17:17

we used to make fruit ketchup....
your recipe sound appealing and tasteful.... thank you for sharing

[Reply]
Chef Mimi 25/8/22 17:20

I can only imagine how delicious this is!!! I can’t get my hands on any fruit that you used, sadly.

[Reply]
Pam 25/8/22 18:51

I've never thought to make my own ketchup. Loving this version!

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 25/8/22 21:11

I want a full botte!....it looks delicious!!!....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Muriel 25/8/22 22:49

Une belle idée d'accompagnement ! bonne fin de soirée

[Reply]
Sherry's Pickings 26/8/22 01:58

this really sounds wonderful angie. so many good flavours here.

[Reply]
Ben | Havocinthekitchen 26/8/22 05:32

I've tried similar (But at the same time different as thise condiments were very sour) plum ketchup recipes before. So I am 100% sure this is delicious!

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 26/8/22 09:02

Looks like the normal ketchup. I am sure this plum ketchup must be delicious.

[Reply]
Anonymous 26/8/22 13:09

It's Judee-
I've never made my own ketchup . This sounds amazingly flavorful and delicious. thanks for the recipe and of course as always your presentation is beautiful.

[Reply]
Irma 26/8/22 14:01

I've never had plum ketchup before, but I think this will be really, really tasty.
Greetings Irma

[Reply]
Julie 26/8/22 14:15

I have only tasted tomato as ketchup, this looks so good and unique dear..yummy ketchup :)

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 26/8/22 14:19

I bet homemade ketchup is so much better than the bottled ketchup~

[Reply]
David 26/8/22 19:55

Angie, My normal ketchup is the Heinz Tabasco variety. I like the spice/heat it adds. With all the spices and heat included in your spicy plum ketchup, I'm sure that it would work well for me! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 26/8/22 23:59

Perfect to spice up any meat!

[Reply]
Rose world 27/8/22 09:26

Never had plum ketchup but I bet it is nice. I only know tomato ketchup. Lol.

[Reply]
eileeninmd 27/8/22 12:35

Hello Angie,
I would love the sweet and sour taste of this plum ketchup. Sounds really tasty!
Thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 27/8/22 14:37

I am loving all these plum and blackberry recipes. This one sounds delicious!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 27/8/22 18:42

very pretty and the spice adds a nice flavor to this condiment

[Reply]
Lowcarb team member 27/8/22 22:58

Something a little different.
Thanks for sharing.

All the best Jan

[Reply]
tigerfish 29/8/22 23:52

Would never have imagined a plum ketchup, so you definitely have my horizon opened with my limited knowledge on condiments as such

[Reply]
Federica Simoni 30/8/22 15:45

originale questa ricetta! complimenti!

[Reply]
Anonymous 30/8/22 18:27

Such a gorgeous colour Angie. I often make plum chutney, but I think I like the idea of your ketchup more.

Choclette x

[Reply]
Raymund 2/9/22 01:22

This reminds me of the Filipino banana ketchup, but this one looks even better, the tanginess of those plums would be perfect for this sauce

[Reply]
The Yum List 3/9/22 03:14

I bet the plum gives it a nice depth of flavour.

[Reply]
mjskit 4/9/22 02:05

Oh Angie...what a delicious looking and sounding ketchup. Love everything about it. The sachet, the plums, the process...I can see it lending to a delightfully delicious mouthful of goodness.

[Reply]
Pattie @ Olla-Podrida 7/9/22 20:04

I LOVE plums! What an interesting recipe. I hope I can still find plums because I would love to try this. I enjoy plum chutney, so just know I would love this.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top