Search Angie's Recipes


Classic Biscuit-Topped Cobbler with Mirabelles and Blackberries

Labels: { , }

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Make the most of foraged Mirabelles and hedgerow blackberries in this wonderful baked fruit dessert. There’s something rather satisfying about foraging food in nature and turning them into something delicious to enjoy. This cobbler recipe works great with all types of fruit and is an excellent dessert that is light on sugar and doesn't compromise on flavour--a healthyish and comforting summertime dessert, especially when served with a drizzle of coconut cream or top with a creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream for an indulgent treat. I baked this in a 30-cm cast iron pan, but a casserole dish or mini cast-iron skillets would work just great.

 

Mirabelle and Blackberry Cobbler

adapted from NY Times
The FruitThe Biscuit
  • 750 g Mirabelles, stoned
  • 200 g Fresh blackberries
  • 2 tbsp Raw cane sugar
  • 1 tbsp Potato starch
  • 200 g Spelt bread flour #1150
  • 1/4 tsp Fine sea salt
  • 1 tbsp Raw cane sugar
  • 2 tsp Baking powder
  • 6 tbsp Cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 180 ml Coconut cream, plus additional for serving, if desired
  1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F. Place pitted Mirabelles and blackberries in a bowl and toss with the sugar and potato starch. Set aside.
  2. To make the dough, mix the spelt flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the coconut cream and mix lightly, just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
  3. Put the prepared fruit in a 12-inch / 30-cm cast iron pan or baking dish. Make patties out of the dough, 2 to 2 1/2-inches / 5 to 6-cmin diameter and 1/2-inch / 1.3-cm thick. Arrange them over the top of the fruit. Bake until the topping is brown and the juices bubble thickly around it, about 35 to 40 minutes.
  4. Let cool slightly. Serve warm, with coconut cream to pour on top, if desired.

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com





© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


36 comments:

Tom 10/8/22 00:56

...what a sweet treat. Mirabelles are new to me.

[Reply]
Anonymous 10/8/22 01:30

Not familiar with mirabelles but yummy -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 10/8/22 02:36

You are right...to convert food that we have collected has another value....delicious!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 10/8/22 02:38

Muy rico, gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 10/8/22 02:47

I love cobblers and crisps. I wasn't sure what a mirabelle was, but then I looked it up. This sounds like a super combination of fruit. Yummy! hugs-Erika

[Reply]
Jean | Delightful Repast 10/8/22 04:46

Angie, love these photos! How I wish I had foraged mirabelles and berries, I'd make this right now! I can taste it now!

[Reply]
Julie 10/8/22 05:51

The cobbler looks perfect to dig in.. yummy one !!

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 10/8/22 08:30

Looks delicious. I don't know Mirabelles but they do look good.

[Reply]
Margaret D 10/8/22 10:13

My mouth is watering for this - lovely.

[Reply]
Anonymous 10/8/22 12:39

Its Judee- I had to google Mirabelle as I have never seen them or heard of them. I found out it is a little plum. The cobbler baked in that cast iron pan looks so delicious. There is nothing like a fresh fruit cobbler. Yum!

[Reply]
Anonymous 10/8/22 13:46

Hi Angie, I'm not sure what a Mirabelle is? Bernadette, http://newclassicrecipe.com

[Reply]
DEZMOND 10/8/22 14:25

I do ever so love mirabelles and now is their ripe time!

[Reply]
Kitchen Riffs 10/8/22 15:46

I like all baked fruit dishes, but cobblers have a special place in my heart. This looks excellent -- just my thing. Thanks.

[Reply]
Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews 10/8/22 18:36

Over here in the UK, we would generally call this dessert a 'crumble' and in its most traditional sense would be mad from apples.

These days any combination of fruits are used, although I admit that I had to look up what 'mirabelles' were.

I love plums, but I have never tasted this particular variety. In fact, I can't recall ever having seen them for sale over here.

We would serve a crumble either with cream or ice cream. Although a real traditionalist would probably have hot custard poured over it - a bit too heavy for my liking! :)

[Reply]
savorthebest 10/8/22 19:18

Oh, I love cobbler, this looks delicious

[Reply]
Velva- Evening with a Sandwich 10/8/22 23:10

Angie, I would be all over this berry cobbler. Fruit cobblers, buckles, galettes are all my favorite summer desserts. I don't like the heat and humidity of summer but love the seasonal fruit.

Velva

[Reply]
Balvinder 11/8/22 02:10

What a gorgeous summer dessert. No mirabelles here but peaches are in season.

[Reply]
Raymund 11/8/22 03:19

OMG Angie that looks amazing, I will skip my dinner just for that

[Reply]
Sherry's Pickings 11/8/22 09:11

what is a mirabelle? a plum? I love blackberries!

[Reply]
paola 11/8/22 10:23

mi piacciono sempre tatnto le tue ricette! questa è davvero invitante e perfetta per l'estate.

[Reply]
Javier 11/8/22 11:05

How divine it looks! Nicely done

[Reply]
Marianela Beauty Tips 11/8/22 11:45

It looks delicious, Thanks for sharing.
I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 11/8/22 14:37

very delicious looks wow! Blackberry or berry anything this looks scrumptious

[Reply]
speedy70 11/8/22 15:06

Mi piacciono molto queste prugnette, un ottimo fine pasto!!!

[Reply]
thepaintedapron.com 11/8/22 16:38

Oh yummmmm, I haven't had a fresh berry cobbler in much too long!

[Reply]
Rainbow Evening 11/8/22 17:33

your food looks amazing....
I don't know Mirabelle, but love blackberries..... yummy

[Reply]
Evelyne CulturEatz 11/8/22 17:50

This looks like a great dessert. We do have yellow plums that are smaller but I would not know if they can foraged.

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 11/8/22 19:06

What a lovely combination and I do remember blackberry picking as a child. Always such fun! Mirabelle's were not easily accessed though but I'm sure they taste delicious!

[Reply]
eileeninmd 13/8/22 12:59

Hello Angie,
Your cobbler looks delicious. Cobbler is one of my favorite treats. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a happy day!

[Reply]
Muna Kenny 13/8/22 13:40

This cobbler looks amazing, it's the best of two worlds, warm cake like layer and sweet fruit jam like bottom layer! Serving it with ice cream will make it heavenly.

[Reply]
Debra Eliotseats 14/8/22 20:14

Love how you're featuring all these berries. You can't beat a good cobbler (for ease and deliciousness)!

[Reply]
Anonymous 15/8/22 12:11

Love making things with foraged foods and your cobbler looks delicious. I haven't made a cobbler for years and years and years.

Choclette x

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top