Search Angie's Recipes


Tripe with Harissa Sauce

Labels: { , , }

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Beef Tripe / Kalb PansenLamb Tripe / Lamm Pansen


© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


Embracing nose-to-tail eating can be daunting for those who didn't grow up eating offal. Heart, liver, tripe, tongue… there are so many options on offer when it comes to choosing what to eat or cook. In my grandparents’ generation all parts of an animal were valued and eating offal was as normal as eating mince. Offal isn't awful at all, on the contrary, it's very delicious if prepared right and highly nutritious. We waste massive quantities of food every single day and by using the whole animal, which helps reduce food waste, we are eating more mindfully and thoughtfully while ensuring that animal is fully appreciated.
Tripe is a type of organ meat that comes from the stomach lining of cow, sheep, goat or pig. Aside from being low in calories and fat, tripe is an excellent, healthy, and affordable source of lean protein and it’s also loaded with vitamins and minerals (zinc, choline, iron, potassium, magnesium, and calcium).
According to Healthline, there are four different kinds of beef tripe, classified depending on which stomach chamber the product was made from. The four types include:

  1. Blanket or flat tripe. This type is made from the first stomach chamber of cows. This smooth tripe is considered the least desirable.
  2. Honeycomb tripe. This variety stems from the second stomach chamber and resembles a honeycomb. It’s more tender than blanket tripe and has a more palatable flavor.
  3. Omasum or book tripe. Coming from the third stomach chamber, this type of tripe is described as a mix between blanket and honeycomb tripe.
  4. Abomasum or reed tripe. This variety is from the fourth stomach chamber. Its taste varies from strong to mild.

You either hate it or love it because of its distinctive aroma, bland flavour and chewy texture, it's often strongly spiced and most commonly prepared in dishes like soups and stews, or deep-fried as a snack. Although it isn’t as desirable as other cuts of meat, tripe remains very popular in the traditional cuisines of many cultures around the world.
The tripe fresh from the farm requires quite a bit of cleaning, the one you can purchase from the stores (I ordered mine here, where you can purchase all kinds of offal, from brain, spleen to testicles) are usually washed / bleached and parboiled. However, it still needs to be further prepared to soften the texture before it's ready for consumption.

 
  • 500 g Lamb or beef tripe (honeycomb or blanket)
  • Water
  • 1 tsp Sea salt
  • 1-2 Bay leaf
  • 1 tsp Peppercorns
  • 1-2 Garlic cloves
  • 1-inch Fresh ginger, smashed
  • 2 tbsp Homemade harissa
  • A large bunch of cilantro, chopped
  • Grape tomatoes, halved
  1. Thoroughly rinse the beef tripe under cold running water. In a medium saucepan, add the beef tripe. Pour enough water into the saucepan to cover the tripe completely. Bring to a boil and boil hard for about 8-10 minutes. Drain, discard the water and rinse the tripe well.
  2. Place the beef tripe into a clean pot and add in about 1 liter water. Season with salt, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic cloves and smashed ginger. Cook until tender, about 1 hour. You can do this in your Instant Pot for 20 minutes.
  3. Drain and rinse the tripe well. Set aside to cool. After the tripe has cooled, cut it into bite-sized pieces.
  4. Toss the sliced beef tripes with homemade harissa and chopped cilantro. Serve on a bed of greens and halved grape tomatoes.

© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com




© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com



© 2022 | http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com


28 comments:

Brian's Home Blog 25/5/22 00:23

I've got to say, it looks terrific, if only I didn't know what it is LOL!

[Reply]
Tom 25/5/22 00:25

...I've never had tripe and I didn't that there were different kinds.

[Reply]
My name is Erika. 25/5/22 02:05

I totally agree with the waste from slaughtered animals. I will also say I've never had tripe before. It looks so different fully cooked than before you cooked it.

[Reply]
Anonymous 25/5/22 02:12

Really beautiful photos and the Harissa sauce must give the tripe a wonderful flavor.

[Reply]
Ben | Havocinthekitchen 25/5/22 02:26

Ooo I'm among those few people who love offal (I especially love liver and tongue). I've never tried tripe though, but it looks and sounds fantastic!

[Reply]
Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine 25/5/22 02:54

I love Tripe and this looks hearty and delicious

[Reply]
J.P. Alexander 25/5/22 04:14

Uy nunca lo he hecho tal me atreva. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

[Reply]
Christine 25/5/22 04:21

Never made tripe but I do like it

[Reply]
Lola Martínez 25/5/22 07:45

Los callos son muy populares por aquí, y aunque no me importa comer vísceras de animales, los callos no se encuentran entre ellas, es por costumbre imagino, pues nunca los he comido. Pero seguro que tu receta es muy buena.
Bss

[Reply]
Nancy Chan 25/5/22 08:47

We love tripe especially when it is tender.

[Reply]
DEZMOND 25/5/22 13:43

That is the scariest thing you've ever prepared, deary LOOOL I cannot believe people eat tripe.

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 25/5/22 15:39

Trip is something my parents ate when we were children, and I remember trying it once. I really like how you have a beautiful presentation to this meal.

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 25/5/22 15:39

Ups! Sorry, I meant tripe :)

[Reply]
DeniseinVA 25/5/22 15:42

Third time trying to comment, sorry if this is a repeat but my original message disappeared. I mentioned that my parents used to eat tripe when I was very young, and I tried it a few times. Your dish is one of the prettiest presentations I have ever seen.

[Reply]
Kitchen Riffs 25/5/22 15:53

Tripe was a supermarket staple when I was growing up. Now? I almost never see it, except at a good butcher shop, or an ethnic market. It's good stuff, though, and I should seek it out more. Really nice recipe, with some kick. Perfect! :-) Thanks.

[Reply]
Norma2 25/5/22 16:32

Around here we call it tripe and it is special for preparing stews.
See recipe here
https://cocinerosargentinos.com/guisos-y-sopas/guiso-de-mondongo
Although fearful in the north of Argentina it is used to make some tasty tripe empanadas.
recipe here
https://cocinerosargentinos.com/carne/empanadas-de-mondongo-1

[Reply]
Pam 25/5/22 19:33

Tripe is something I've still never tried. I bet the harissa sauce makes it tasty.

[Reply]
Marcelle 25/5/22 22:45

Angie, I struggle with the texture of tripe, I've had it in Mexican stews. But, dang you made it into a gorgeous dish!! I may have to try it again your way!

[Reply]
foodtravelandwine 26/5/22 01:04

I agree with you....too much food goes to waste....in my case, I used to eat every part of the animal, but now I can't anymore.....it looks delicious with harissa!!....Abrazotes, Marcela

[Reply]
Margaret D 26/5/22 03:54

Don't think I could eat tripe, once people ate it.

[Reply]
Javier 26/5/22 09:34

I've never eaten tripe, but it looks delicious. I can’t imagine the taste

[Reply]
speedy70 26/5/22 09:48

Mi piace molto, la proverò con questa ghiotta salsa!!

[Reply]
Easyfoodsmith 26/5/22 17:48

This is a very novel dish for me and so is the star ingredient...tripe

[Reply]
savorthebest 26/5/22 22:41

I do like trip but I have never prepared it myself. This sounds delicious with the harissa sauce.

[Reply]
Cooking Julia 26/5/22 23:54

Tripes is something I have never cooked... Looks good!

[Reply]
David 1/6/22 02:43

Angie, We're back from a family trip so I'm catching up... While your finished dish looks great, I'm afraid that at this stage of my life, I'll be skipping tripe. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

[Reply]
Tisa Jacob 1/6/22 20:02

Im not really one for consuming offal, but you've made it so enticing. The harissa spice gives it a pretty exterior. I'm sure your version is quite tasty !

[Reply]
Raymund 16/6/22 11:55

Ohhh a new tripe recipe to make, I love tripe and we have several dishes in our cuisine that uses it.

[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top