A soft,tender, lightly sweetened two-toned yeast chocolate bread swirled with a layer of orange chiffon cake. Not only is it DELICIOUS, it looks quite pretty when you serve it. They are excellent when toasted and spread with butter or jam for a satisfying breakfast or afternoon snack.
Alternatively, you can replace the cocoa powder with milk powder (or just flour) to prepare a sweet bread dough, then topped with a disc of chocolate flavoured foam cake.
In October, I was the very LUCKY winner of $40 Amazon gift card from Choc Chip Uru - Go Bake Yourself. Uru is a 17-year-old culinary genius and a serious chocolate fan. Please head over to her space and learn more her baking, her fun undercover stories. The cookie stamp and cupcake decorating set I have bought with the gift card have finally arrived this Saturday. Thank you once again, Uru!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, bread flour, cocoa, salt, brown sugar and the instant dried yeast. Blend well.
- Warm the milk and butter in a saucepan to about 40C/100F. Lightly beaten the egg and add warm milk mixture and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture, pour in the liquid mixture. Stir with a dough hook at slow speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to the medium and continue to knead until smooth, and the dough leaves from sides of the mixing bowl. Add more flour if necessary.
- Turn out the dough and shape into a ball. Lightly grease the mixing bowl and return the dough ball into the bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover and proof the dough in a warm place for about two hours until it doubles in volume.
- Knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured work surface, cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll out the dough into a large oval shape and top with the chiffon cake. Roll up like a jelly roll, placing the seam side down into a 33-cm loaf pan.
- Butter a piece of plastic wrap and place loosely over the dough. Let rise again until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180C/350F and place bread in the center of the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.