A beautiful whole baked Hokkaido filled with ground beef, pumpkin seeds, shiitake mushrooms, ricotta, herb and spices. It’s delicious, remarkably easy and can be prepared in advance. The filling should be for enough for either two mini Hokkaido pumpkins or a large one. If you have too much filling left, bake a casserole!
Inspired by Essen und Trinken
- Cut off top of pumpkin to make a lid and spoon out the seeds and pulp. Rub the inside with some salt. Place, cut side down, on a piece of kitchen paper, for 30 minutes.
- Soak the dried shiitake in a bowl of warm water for 15 minutes until softened. Squeeze out the water and finely chop the shiitake. Finely dice the shallots.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Heat 2 tablespoons of corn oil in a skillet. Add in chopped shallots, shiitake, allspice, juniper berries, pumpkin seeds and thyme. Cook until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Place the ground beef,breadcrumbs, egg, ricotta, and shiitake mixture in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Fill the pumpkin with ground beef mixture and place on a baking tray together with the lid. Brush the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of corn oil. Bake at the 2nd rack from bottom for an hour. About 10 minutes before the pumpkin has finished baking, cover with aluminum foil.