A stuffed chicken breast roulade (or roll) with roasted walnuts, arugula and dried shiitake mushrooms that imparted a distinct, smoky flavours to the filling. Instead of breadcrumbs, use a mix of high-protein, low-gluten rye crackers and Vitamin E-rich walnuts by pulsing them together in a food processor to coat the chicken.
Recipe adapted from Whole Living
- 7 Thin, crisp rye crackers
- 40 g Chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 handful Dried shiitake mushroom caps, soaked and chopped
- 2/3 tbsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- 20 g Arugula, chopped
- 1 tbsp Stock or water
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, butterflied and pounded evenly
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Soak the dried shiitake mushroom caps in warm water for 20 minutes. Drain. Remove the stems and chop finely. Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Pulse crackers and 30 grams walnuts in a food processor until finely ground.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic and shallots until soft, about 4 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and thyme, and cook until chopped mushrooms are slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat off. M ix in chopped arugula, water and the remaining walnuts to skillet.
- Season each chicken breast with 1/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Lay one chicken breast on a plate. Spread half mushroom-walnut mixture onto chicken, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Roll, and tie with kitchen twine. Cover with crumb mixture, pressing to coat. Repeat with another chicken breast, mushroom-walnut mixture, and crumbs. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Untie, and slice.