- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and stir until the mixture is well-blended. Stir together all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 10 rectangles, each about 4x7cm in size. Using a spoon to hollow out the center of each tofu rectangle to make a little box. Pat the tofu 'boxes' dry and dust them lightly with cornstarch. Fill each with about 1 tablespoon of the stuffing, mounding it slightly. Pat each piece of stuffed tofu with additional cornstarch.
- Pour enough oil into a skillet to fill 3 inches. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 150C/300F. Deep-fry the stuffed tofu, a few pieces at a time, until the tofu is golden brown and the filling is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Heat a skillet over high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add green onions and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Slip the fried tofu into the sauce and stir gently to coat. Transfer the tofu onto a serving platter, and serve hot.