Lamingtons are a butter cake in the shape of a cube, coated in a layer of traditionally chocolate icing then desiccated coconut. Recipe adapted from Joy Of Baking
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and place oven rack to middle position. Butter the bottom and sides of a 26x16x4cm cake pan. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with flour.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Re-invert. Once the cake has completely cooled cut it into 15 2-inch (5 cm) squares. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or even overnight. The reason for doing this is that it is much easier (less crumbs) to coat a cold cake with frosting.
- Place the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth and of pouring consistency.
- Put the squares of cakes on a serving plate lined with a baking sheet. Have ready the coconut on a large box or a plate and the chocolate frosting. Spoon or ladle the chocolate frosting over each square of cake, making sure you cover all sides. With a knife transfer the chocolate covered cake to the plate of coconut and roll the cake in the coconut, covering all sides. Gently transfer the lamingtons to a clean wire rack to set. Once the lamingtons have set, store in an airtight container for several days.